Rejection after interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foreseen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My OAT scores are 390 TS and 350 AA; my overall GPA is 3.6, and my science GPA is about 3.7. So far I've been invited to an interview to every school I applied to but I'm still worried. I have been working with patients for about two years in a non-optometry field, and I'm very good with them. I don't think I'll be awkward in interviews but I don't think I'll stand out in a good way, I'm not very charismatic. I am also not very good at selling myself.

My top choices are SCO and MCO. Can anyone tell me how likely it is that I'll be rejected by those two schools purely based on a bad interview? Generally, what percent of applicants get rejected after being invited to an interview? I've been compiling questions and trying to answer them to prepare myself. I am also considering going back to shadowing for some extra help.

Any feedback would help, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I really don't think that admissions committees weight too heavily on interviews, I think they just like to meet who they are considering accepting and it also give them a chance to sell the school to you.

Uhh...then why do schools only end up accepting about half of the applicants they interview? Getting an interview doesn't mean you're in for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uhh...then why do schools only end up accepting about half of the applicants they interview? Getting an interview doesn't mean you're in for sure.

I know an invitation doesn't guarantee acceptance, so the rejection rate is about 50%? I'd like to know how much weight GPA and OAT scores hold.

First of all, with those statistics, I feel you are going to be accepted to both SCO and MCO with no problem...unless of course you have NO interpersonal skills and you said in the interview that optometry has something to do with hearing :confused:

Also, the interview shows a great deal about the applicant. It shows how passionate one may feel about the optometric field as well as it shows off your "people skills," which are absolutely a must in the profession of optometry.

As for the percent accepted out of those interviewed...Usually less than half of those that apply are given an interview opportunity. From that, greater than 50% of those interviewed will be accepted.

PCO interviews 300 to 350 applicants I believe, though nearly 900 apply. They accept 250-270ish though only 155ish enroll

MCO interviews roughly 80 applicants and accepts 56ish. From there....only 36 take a seat and enroll.

I interview at MCO December 21st...it is a beautiful school.

Thank you for that sammyboy, I really needed something to calm my nerves. And guess what, I'm interviewing at MCO on 12/21 as well, see you then!

First of all, with those statistics, I feel you are going to be accepted to both SCO and MCO with no problem...unless of course you have NO interpersonal skills and you said in the interview that optometry has something to do with hearing :confused:

Also, the interview shows a great deal about the applicant. It shows how passionate one may feel about the optometric field as well as it shows off your "people skills," which are absolutely a must in the profession of optometry.

As for the percent accepted out of those interviewed...Usually less than half of those that apply are given an interview opportunity. From that, greater than 50% of those interviewed will be accepted.

PCO interviews 300 to 350 applicants I believe, though nearly 900 apply. They accept 250-270ish though only 155ish enroll

MCO interviews roughly 80 applicants and accepts 56ish. From there....only 36 take a seat and enroll.

I interview at MCO December 21st...it is a beautiful school.

Based on my own experience, it is extremely important to have a good enough interview, regardless of your stats. Now by good interview I don't mean you need to blow the ad coms away or anything, but if the interview does go quite poorly you could be rejected with stellar stats.

As an unfortunate example, I offer up my own interview experience with SUNY. My interview did not go well at all; this was an extremely odd set of circumstances, but that's all I can say publicly about it. And, I was rejected as a result of the interview. My stats were: 3.78 gpa, OAT 400TS 390AA, lots of volunteer experience (plus letters) both in an eye clinic and in tutoring, a good amount of shadowing, etc. Honestly, I don't think there were any weak areas in my application; now I know I did not have the greatest start to undergrad (organic chemistry killed me the first time) but I finished very strong, which was reflected in my gpa. And I don't think I have terrible interview skills, as my PCO and ICO interviews both went very well, and I was accepted to both schools.

I'm very pleased with PCO so it all worked out well for me in the end, but I'd caution anyone against thinking that the interview isn't important. I really don't think it's difficult, and I wouldn't get overly stressed about it, and based on your stats I'd be confident you'll be accepted to many, and possibly all, schools to which you apply. However, yes, if things go poorly enough, pretty much anyone can and will be rejected.

Well, try not to be too negative! Go in with a positive attitude and you may surprise yourself. I did interview with PCO... my only interview as of now and it went well. I have good grades, great experience & LOR but low OAT scores. I have not been accepted nor rejected as of yet. Most interviews will be more tough than others but do not be overwhelm and assume the worst of yourself. You get what you attract! And if you tell yourself now that you will be rejected, then you won't have a chance! Be positive! Good Luck!

Last edited:
I don't think I'll be awkward in interviews but I don't think I'll stand out in a good way, I'm not very charismatic. I am also not very good at selling myself.

If you feel that you won't stand out because you're not the most charismatic person, then make your responses stand out. Draw in examples from your experiences when answering questions. It may not be in your nature to sell yourself, but your interview is NOT the time to worry about being modest. You don't need to embody a used car salesman approach, but while you're practicing your interview skills try to embrace a little narcissism. If you don't get across that you will be an ESSENTIAL part of their school, who will?

So far I've been invited to an interview to every school I applied to but I'm still worried. I have been working with patients for about two years in a non-optometry field, and I'm very good with them. I don't think I'll be awkward in interviews but I don't think I'll stand out in a good way, I'm not very charismatic. I am also not very good at selling myself.
I see that I am not alone, I too, have trouble selling myself, and interview time sure isn't the time to be modest. Give it your best, as blyssful said, bring up examples, that part helped me the most. It can also help remind you of your other accomplishments and qualities if you are the type to be nervous and forget things. I think emphasizing your values to further elaborate on those experiences, also help define the person you present to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about MCO, but my interview day at SCO was extremely relaxed. The faculty/staff/students there are so friendly and outgoing I think even the least of bubbly people would find it difficult not to have the charisma rub off on you.

. My interview did not go well at all; this was an extremely odd set of circumstances, but that's all I can say publicly about it.

I can't lie, you have completely peaked my interest. I can't imagine what could possibly make you use the words "extremely odd" and "can say publically". I have run through about 15 different possible scenarios............. and the best I've come up with is the scenario from the movie "old school". Where the main character ends up hooking up with his bosses daughter at a party the previous, only he didn't know it was his daughter... I can only assume the same thing happened to you except maybe with the head of admissions daughter. Tell me I nailed the story on the head? haha

I can't lie, you have completely peaked my interest. I can't imagine what could possibly make you use the words "extremely odd" and "can say publically". I have run through about 15 different possible scenarios............. and the best I've come up with is the scenario from the movie "old school". Where the main character ends up hooking up with his bosses daughter at a party the previous, only he didn't know it was his daughter... I can only assume the same thing happened to you except maybe with the head of admissions daughter. Tell me I nailed the story on the head? haha

LOL!!!! that actually comes to mind when you put it that way... movie is so funny!

I can't lie, you have completely peaked my interest. I can't imagine what could possibly make you use the words "extremely odd" and "can say publically".

I can't lie, you have completely piqued my interest as well. I can't imagine why you would correct someone's grammar erroneously when the proper spelling is, in fact, "publicly".

:rolleyes:

Relax man, I bolded publicly because I was emphasizing the meaning of the word not correcting the spelling. I'm a science major and rely heavily on spell check. The end.

Science majors don't need to know how to spell :idea:

Thank god I don't watch many movies..........

As for your odd spelling of publicly as "publically" I did actually look it up in the dictionary, and apparently it is a valid alternate spelling.

Edit: About the sad state of spelling on SDN, it really doesn't make us look good. I'm not saying it matters a whole lot, especially not the typos (for example, typing liek instead of like is clearly a typo, as nobody in their right mind would actively spell that word in that way without trying to be stupid/funny). Unfortunately, spelling sucks across the nation thanks to the prevalence of automatic spell-checking programs...... I believe I even saw someone spell naive as "nieve" which, in my opinion, is pretty bad.

Last edited:
See ya there buddy!

Do you think it's a good idea to move my other interviews to January so I can can save myself from all the long trips, until I find out MCO's decision? Is wating until January going to hurt my chances at SCO and PCO to a great extent?

I have always understood that it is best to interview as soon as possible. This is tough for me to answer because I don't know when your other interviews are or where you live (the distances you have to travel) or what your class schedule is like this current semester.

I'm sure someone will be able to give you better advice.

I live very close to MCO and it's my first choice. the other interviews are at teh end of november and beginning of december.

Well, I would first contact MCO's admission office and speak to an admissions counselor. You may want to ask how competitive you are, in terms of numbers only, with those applying to MCO. This will hopefully give you an idea of how competitive you are in comparison to those applying to MCO and those accepted. If you seem to be on the higher end of the statistical spectrum you may want to push back those interviews to January, but again I really don't have great advice for you.

Plus, if you push back your PCO interview, I might have a better chance at getting accepted. :p

Hope this somewhat helps.

Well, I would first contact MCO's admission office and speak to an admissions counselor. You may want to ask how competitive you are, in terms of numbers only, with those applying to MCO. This will hopefully give you an idea of how competitive you are in comparison to those applying to MCO and those accepted. If you seem to be on the higher end of the statistical spectrum you may want to push back those interviews to January, but again I really don't have great advice for you.

Plus, if you push back your PCO interview, I might have a better chance at getting accepted. :p

Hope this somewhat helps.

That's great advice, thanks. LOL, I've already moved the PCO date, best of luck!