1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Rejection Email

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Prayin80, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Prayin80

Prayin80 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I just got rejected by Indiana University via email today. :( O well, I guess God didn't think it was best. :D Did anyone else receive a rejection email? Probably not since everyone on this forum has excellent stats. ;)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. prez_al

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do you mean for this cycle or last year's cycle??

4. BallDontLie

BallDontLie Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Wow, those are some great DATs. I was about to tell you not to worry cuz you will get in somewhere for sure with those scores. But then I saw you only applied to four schools. With a 2.8, you *REALLY* need to add a few more. I dont know much about SIU, but the competition at UIC is crazy since it only has about 80 seats and its the only school in the Chicago area. As for Michigan, lets just say I am a Michigan resident, went to Michigan for undergrad, had a 3.32 and 22aa/22ts/17pat, and didnt even get an interview. And yes, I applied early.

It's not too late to add some schools, but I recommend you do it NOW

5. DDS:)

DDS:) Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    if u mean 2007 cycle, wow u got a rejection letter already?! thats fast :eek:

6. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I agree on needing to add more schools to the list. Unless it's a matter of food or rent versus application fees I suggest it's worth the money. I applied to IU last year and received a flat rejection. They have a hard time recognizing talent when they see it.

7. Did you even get an interview? Your DAT scores look awesome to me. How did you study for it? What's they key to scoring well on the reading comprehension?

8. puncho

puncho Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't understand why you're applying to so many state schools, especially with that GPA.

Not trying to be rude, but I think you need to research and find out the schools that lean towards the DAT (e.g. UOP, Columbia).

9. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    I'll ditto and say what everybody else has already said: applying to only four schools is foolish. Either you are committed to the application process (and entering dental school), or you aren't. Four schools says that you aren't that committed. Even people with excellent stats would be foolish to apply to only four schools.

With a 2.8, although your DATs are good, you ought to add 10 more schools to your list.

10. prez_al

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wouldnt say Columbia is a good school with a low GPA since it's freaking Ivy League. But definitely go for NYU as the avg to get in is 3.2, 19 DAT and they take 240 people. And I agree with GavinC completely!

11. syn_apse

syn_apse Registered Loser
    5+ Year Member

I just got off the phone with God and He said it was your GPA, not Him

12. Prayin80

Prayin80 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It's not very cool to insult someone about their faith. To answer the question of which cycle, it was for the 07 cycle. Thank you everyone for your advice. :)

13. syn_apse

syn_apse Registered Loser
    5+ Year Member

It's not very cool to blame your rejection on God :p

14. Prayin80

Prayin80 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I don't blame my rejection on God. I believe that even with a low GPA or a high one, God is in control of all things. I believe that even with the best stats, if God doesn't allow you to go to a certain school, it won't happen. It's called having faith in God and his power, not blaming him. So, I had faith that maybe Indiana would be a possibility, even with my low GPA. If you have nothing productive to say about my situation, then please stop wasting my time with little remarks about my faith. I'd appreciate it.

15. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Guardian of Justice
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Try adding some private schools with large classes, hence more acceptance (ie: NYU, BU, etc)

16. leia05

leia05 SpunkyToothDr
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    reading comprehension is something you can totally prepare for... i don't know how fast you read but being able to speed read is a definite plus... i'm a total bookworm so i didn't have trouble with this section at all but i know not everyone devours books the way i do (at least fun books anyway...textbooks are another story
    :rolleyes: ) at any rate, my tips are to to just go by the library, find you some good reading material to practice speed reading...i suggest starting with a good popular novel then working your way to the material that would better match what is on the DAT... once you've mastered the speed, focus on comprehension...see how fast you can read a paragraph then a whole page and then close your eyes and see if you can remember the content of said material. if you take this route, you'll have time to scan the questions before you read the blurb of material they give you, which will enable you to better find the answers quickly! and trust me, reading comprehension scores matter to schools...my interviewers definitely remarked on mine... hope this helps!

17. sulki916

sulki916 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

omg. i cant belive u got rejected already. i thought you hear from dental schools starting december 01, is that only for acceptance letters?

18. Sprgrover

Sprgrover Pulped out Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

After viewing your stats I believe your gpa is perhaps the greatest thing hurting your chances right off the bat with schools. If you haven't considered UOP (University of the Pacific in SF) I suggest you at least look into it. It's a very good program and they love applicants with high DAT scores, such as yours, and they seem to be more forgiving of lower gpa's than a lot of other dental schools. Hang in there!

19. Mackchops

Mackchops Toothy grin
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    OOH OOH! Can we get into a philosophical debate about determinism! I love this stuff!

20. Tripas

Tripas Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hahahahah

syn_apse - " hey God!!! this dude is blaming you man"

God - "WHAT!!!! tell buddy it was the GPA...and stop begging me for help"

syn_apse - " No Problem, hey can i get a million dollars?"

God - " Good one, but no"

but i feel that man....im sooooooooooo scared of getting rejected man that would crush me

21. Dec 1st is for acceptances, they can reject you at anytime before

22. beannaithe

beannaithe Bionerd
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Already?! That just seems a little mean...honestly, your GPA is a *little* low even though your DATs are stellar. Some schools have cutoffs where you can't be accepted/offered an interview below a 3.0. I'd add more schools to your list though.

It never hopes to be sure...