Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Rejection or not?

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by rachroo, Dec 2, 2008.

1. rachroo

rachroo OSU CVM c/o 2013
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Well, I haven't gotten any invites for interview (so far), despite the fact that many of the schools I applied to have already issued out invitations. I'm not trying to be a 'Debby Downer,' but I am trying to brainstorm some plans (travel, masters, more upper lovel ZOO classes, even more varied types of animal/vet experience) for the next year if things continue the way they are.

So for those of us who haven't gotten any interview invites, will we be getting a rejection letter or will the schools just leave us in limbo for the next year?

2. loo

loo Always Sleepy
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Why not send your schools a polite, friendly email?

3. wildvet

wildvet UIUC CVM Class of 2013
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Don't give up just yet! Some schools might actually have multiple days for interviews, so they may inform applicants on different days.

Most of my schools don't give out notices until January, so I'm not expecting much from them just yet. If you're applying to KSU, they do, in fact send out multiple waves of invitations through email. I know that I got a little nervous when I started seeing SDN threads popping up that people had gotten invites from KSU already. I sent the school an email, and they confirmed that they're still looking through applications (in no particular order) and are still sending out invitations for the next few weeks.

So yes, I agree that maybe you should send an email to them. It definitely will not hurt you, and if anything it will just reassure you with whatever is going on.

4. pupsforseeing

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    i don't know what schools you applied to, but depending on the school, that may be completely normal. at this time last year i hadn't heard from any of my schools and ended up getting interviews at 4 out of 5 (the fifth one was CSU and they don't interview...but i didn't hear about a rejection until late january). don't give up hope just yet!

5. loo

loo Always Sleepy
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    "Debby Downer" :laugh:

Try to think of yourself as a lobotomized "Susie Sunshine".

Hang in there :luck:

6. Pandacinny

Pandacinny VMRCVM c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Rachroo, I think you applied to VMRCVM, right? If you did, it's certainly not weird that you haven't heard from them yet. From what I remember of the past couple of years, their interview invites come out in December or January. Also, I know that both VMRCVM and UPenn send out rejection letters pretty promptly to the people who haven't made it to the interview phase. They won't just leave you wondering until June or anything.

Basically, though, don't worry too much until you've heard something. (I'm one to talk about this! :p)

7. rachroo

rachroo OSU CVM c/o 2013
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Nope, but I would have liked to if they accepted more OOS students!

I applied to: Ohio (IS), Iowa, Michigan, Missouri, Minnesota, and Western.

Good advice, but SO hard to follow!! :laugh:

Thanks, and good luck to you as well!

8. Pomona2006

Pomona2006 UC Davis SVM c/o 2013
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    I don't know how everyone is feeling but I know it's easy to feel pretty depressed these days...

For me, it is personally a mixture of the lack of daylight (sunset by 5pm??? eek!), finals approaching, and my grandfather dying in a hospital in NY (when I'm in CA) that is making me sick to my stomach and super stressed out...:barf:and sure...it's depressing to see all these wonderful people get interviews already, but remember, so many of the schools haven't even started inviting yet. Don't count yourself out! I personally need more positivity in my life at this stressful time.

And if you are getting sick to your stomach thinking it's all over for you this year...check out last years interview thread to see when people got invites for interviews...the invites may be a long way off for some of us. No reason to get stressed. ;)

(An interview, on the other hand, is a reason to get stressed! :p)

Keep positive, everyone! :xf:

9. Meggie1985

Meggie1985 Ohio State Univ CVM 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    As a fellow in-state applicant to Ohio State, I feel your pain! :( I haven't heard any interview news either. I'm holding out until the end of this week, and then I'm going to contact them. I heard they were issuing interview invitations the week before and the week after Thanksgiving, so maybe we'll be contacted this week?

Good luck to you!:xf::luck:

10. Moonpaw

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Eh...I'll have to disagree with you on the U Penn thing. I had to wait until MARCH to find out that, despite the fact that I got one those little blue postcards, I was NOT getting an interview. I know that postcard wasn't a promise of an interview or anything, but it would have been nice to not have my hopes up for so long and then have them crushed.

11. IvyLynx

IvyLynx NCSU CVM c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I'm not so much worrying about not getting interviews so much as realizing that I have to think about not getting more than I would like for planning purposes. For example, I'm not going to worry about cramming in all the experience I can while taking a heavy course load if I get in (obviously)...but that does mean that I have to plan for not getting in, just case.

It's early! Way to early to panic at least. Good luck!

12. lailanni

lailanni c/o 2012
    Veterinarian 10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Washington doesn't send them out until Feb. At least they've sent them out in Feb for the past few years. So you're a long ways off if you're waiting for WSU. I remember Christmas break last year, looking at the SDN boards...waiting... ;) Hang in there!

13. EqSci

5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Relax! I applied to Ohio, Iowa, Michigan, and Minnesota and I've only heard from Ohio so far (but I am OOS which it seems like most of the interview invitees are so far). I think the interview thread definitely makes you panic, but try to remember that there are probably WAY more people that didn't hear anything yet than there are people that posted an interview invite. We only see the ones that are getting invites, so it makes it seem worse than it is. I bet if we started a thread for people that haven't heard anything yet it would be much longer than the interview thread.

It's still very early yet. Hang in there! Michigan hasn't even sent out the supplemental yet, Minnesota I haven't heard a word from, Iowa does 3 sets of interviews, and it sounds like most Ohio-staters aren't being interviewed yet. I hope that we will get rejection letters ASAP if we are rejected... but until then, enjoy the fact that you at least know you still have a chance! :)

14. philomycus

philomycus The Tree Rat
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    I still have to wait between 2 and 5 months:eek: before I hear much from the 4 I applied to: CSU, OKState, UGA and UF.

Got an email today from UGA : you'll hear no later on your stauts than April 15th. 5 m o r e m o n t h s.......

ps- LOO! How the heck are you??