Rejection what now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureponydr

Reaction score
Hello all! I am a first year applicant and have just completed my first cycle with 8 rejections and 1 waitlist. I was wanting to get some advice. I know my GPA is what is lacking, overall I have a 3.3 with a 3.0 Science GPA. In terms of hours I work as a tech at a small animal hospital and have worked at a large animal hospital as well meaning my experience hours at sitting at about 2500. I am already in the process of making my application stronger and thinking of reapplication so I guess my question is what is more beneficial- to do a one year masters, or to just retake courses I struggled in? IF a masters- does anyone have any program recs? Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all! I am a first year applicant and have just completed my first cycle with 8 rejections and 1 waitlist. I was wanting to get some advice. I know my GPA is what is lacking, overall I have a 3.3 with a 3.0 Science GPA. In terms of hours I work as a tech at a small animal hospital and have worked at a large animal hospital as well meaning my experience hours at sitting at about 2500. I am already in the process of making my application stronger and thinking of reapplication so I guess my question is what is more beneficial- to do a one year masters, or to just retake courses I struggled in? IF a masters- does anyone have any program recs? Thank you all!
What's going to be the most helpful for you is doing file reviews with the programs that you applied to - they'll be able to give you tailored advice based on your application.

You can also post in the WAMC subforum with your GPAs, experience hours, etc., so we can get a better idea of you as an applicant and make suggestions :)

Reactions: 3 users
Hi! I agree with what was said above -- your first step should be to get a file review from any school possible to see where specifically you could improve your application.

Since you showed interest in a possible Master's, I just wanted to give you info on a graduate certificate program for pre-vet students at the University of Illinois. It's an online program that offers academic coaching and vet student mentorship to help familiarize students with first year curriculum, and you'll also gain valuable skills and advice that you can apply to your application, essay writing, and interviewing.
It's not necessarily something that should be relied on to boost your GPA since it's 12 credits, but if you decide that you want to work on overall vet school preparedness (because it's a tough transition in the first quarter!) during this gap year, I think this would be a great option for you! It can be done as either an intensive course over the summer or a more laid back course over 9 months. Here's the website for it: Certificate of Veterinary Science | UI Vet Med i-Learning

I'm a current first year at UIUC, and I'm a peer mentor for this certificate program! If you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me or the office [email protected] (can also call 217-300-7437). Best of luck in your reapplication! :)