Rejections. The why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The “Why was I rejected” posts have been as precise in coming as the cesium clock. The 4.0 with 30/30/30 club seems to be dumbfounded by having received a rejection. They appear to be having a difficult time accepting that not all adcoms were impressed, not unlike a Miss Universe that is dumbfounded at the realization that not everyone is impressed with her attributes. There is a good reason ds usually send a generic letter for rejection. "Being nervous" and not having enough “dental experience” could well be only excuses for and not necessarily the reasons for the rejection. Asking why one was rejected should not be confused with asking what one can do to improve one’s chance of acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

um...I count one single thread on this subject, which was a rather unique circumstance which resulted in 20 pm's. I think everybody with an open mind on this forum has already deemed that thread justified, unlike this one.

Okay crabby mcgrumplestein

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha. I've never seen the great doc toothache make a thread like this before to directly acknowledge someone. Bereno, you are now rising higher in the ranks of SDN stardom. Doc Toothache has taken notice of you.

I agree with you though, Doc. I doubt a school would actually tell you the real reason why you were rejected. Schools have a lot of interviewees and they got to choose somehow. I'm sure they don't even write down the exact reason why someone gets accepted or rejected. That's why I didn't bother asking.

doc toothache has been here for a few application cycles and knows a thing or three. this question comes up every year, so don't assume it is aimed at you personally.

Asking why one was rejected should not be confused with asking what one can do to improve one's chance of acceptance.

Haha, I think its safe to say that I am at least one of the few this is aimed at.

When I was inquiring as to why I was rejected, I did not confuse it with asking what I can do to improve my app. However, I will let you decide that in the email I sent to the UW student admissions office. This is the email I sent (edited names of course)

Hi, my name is (Bereno), and I would like to express my appreciation to you and the University of Washington School of Dentistry for taking the time to consider my application. I stopped by your office today to talk to you in person, however I was kindly informed that you were not in today. As you may or may not know, I was recently denied admission to the dental school. I am writing to see what I could improve upon in my dental school application. Additionally, if there is any constructive feedback regarding my interview and/or my application, I would be very appreciative of such advice. This is of course, if there is any feedback available.

Once again, thank you for your time,

(Bereno)

I hope this clears this up :thumbup: (thats for you Iralex801 ;))

very much so.

no more lick stick and pour for me.

time to drill fill and bill next year :laugh::laugh:

Very bold! You made a great switch though. Change your status, it still says pharmacy student. And don't pull a fast one and make it 'dental student'. You have to suffer through the measly pre dental status until you officially enroll :)

Very bold! You made a great switch though. Change your status, it still says pharmacy student. And don't pull a fast one and make it 'dental student'. You have to suffer through the measly pre dental status until you officially enroll :)

haha +1

Bereno, everybodies waiting for this fight. I've got 20 bucks on you because I'm pretty sure doc toothache is old and out of shape.

Oh man, I've got got to start training! Doc Toothache might be old, but hes got old man strength... and that's tough stuff.

I thought you were on his side anyway lol :p you gonna sucker punch me to give him a fighting chance? haha :D

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Bereno, everybodies waiting for this fight. I've got 20 bucks on you because I'm pretty sure doc toothache is old and out of shape.

True, but doc toothache is much more financially stable and may have lots of weapons... erm, cough i mean assets...

Good luck Bereno!

Oh man, I've got got to start training! Doc Toothache might be old, but hes hot old man strength... and that's tough stuff.

I thought you were on his side anyway lol :p you gonna sucker punch me to give him a fighting chance? haha :D

Haha! You've made some noteworthy contributions to sdn, I just happened to disagree with your one post. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate you overall. You're still in the ring with doc toothache though. And by the looks of it, it's going to be a good brawl.

Oh man, I've got got to start training! Doc Toothache might be old, but hes hot old man strength... and that's tough stuff.

How old does an old man have to be before developing 'hot old man strength'?

Haha! You've made some noteworthy contributions to sdn, I just happened to disagree with your one post. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate you overall. You're still in the ring with doc toothache though. And by the looks of it, it's going to be a good brawl.

haha fair enough :D

How old does an old man have to be before developing 'hot old man strength'?

damn! I'm usually good about my spelling errors and stuff like that, but this one slipped past me. It was supposed to be "hes got old man strength" haha

How old do you have to be? Dunno. I guess you just have to be old enough to get called old by the patrons of SDN. :thumbup:

Bereno, aren't you attending UConn? Why bother emailing UW? Are you hoping to transfer or something? Sorry, I never read the original thread. Just wondering.

Hi, my name is (Bereno), and I would like to express my appreciation to you and the University of Washington School of Dentistry for taking the time to consider my application. I stopped by your office today to talk to you in person, however I was kindly informed that you were not in today. As you may or may not know, I was recently denied admission to the dental school. I am writing to see what I could improve upon in my dental school application. Additionally, if there is any constructive feedback regarding my interview and/or my application, I would be very appreciative of such advice. This is of course, if there is any feedback available.Once again, thank you for your time,
(Bereno)

Since you were accepted at 2 schools it would appear that you do not need advice on how to "improve upon" your application although a prescription for a bruised ego might be in order. For a self avowed pacifist, you appear too eager to jump into the octagon.

The bet appears to be a knee jerk reaction to too much time spent at cock fights.

Bereno, aren't you attending UConn? Why bother emailing UW? Are you hoping to transfer or something? Sorry, I never read the original thread. Just wondering.

I sent this email because I was genuinely curious about what I could have done better. Emailing someone doesn't take much effort, so the benefit to cost ratio made it worth while. Simple as that. Thread is here if you want to read it.

Since you were accepted at 2 schools it would appear that you do not need advice on how to "improve upon" your application although a prescription for a bruised ego might be in order. For a self avowed pacifist, you appear too eager to jump into the octagon.

Lol, it is true that my ego was probably bruised a little. I was humbled. I think that's a good thing though - keeps me grounded. They were looking for attribute X, and I didn't/don't have it. Once again, many people were inquiring about my rejection, so I made a thread that is intended to help future applicants not get ahead of themselves. I was hoping that more people would post why they were rejected, however that hope seems to have fallen through lol. One thing is true though, the thread title is a little unfortunate - I wish I could edit it.

About being eager to jump into the octagon; that was more for amusement's sake. There not much of a fighter in me :)

UW is his state school. It's good to e-mail admissions when there's any question even for rejections.

BTW, UConn's also purple and huskies!

Damn. I really want to meet doc toothache in person.

The only real reason why people are rejected/wait listed is that there were better people than you out there who took up the spot/niche that you would have otherwise filled. I feel that more than 80 percent of dental school applicants deserve and are able to handle dental school. So, if the school only had 100 applicants, I feel like it would take all of them, regardless if their GPA was a 3.7 or a 3.3. Therefore, the real relevant question isn't why you were rejected, but what were the weaknesses that made you less competitive than other applicants.

Stay tuned for an excel spreadsheet of why everyone is wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.