relation of variables t to a

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

miringains

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey all, I always end up confusing myself on certain things such as the following

If a is reduced to a/6, what happens to t?

Originally I wrote down

x=1/2 at^2, rearranged for t and got t = sqrt(2x/a). Looking at this I thought alright, so it will increase by a factor of sqrt 6

But then I wrote down

Vf = Vo + at

And saw that they were just simply inverse of each other which means that t would increase by a factor of 6.


What is the problem in my thought process here?
 
hey all, I always end up confusing myself on certain things such as the following

If a is reduced to a/6, what happens to t?

Originally I wrote down

x=1/2 at^2, rearranged for t and got t = sqrt(2x/a). Looking at this I thought alright, so it will increase by a factor of sqrt 6

But then I wrote down

Vf = Vo + at

And saw that they were just simply inverse of each other which means that t would increase by a factor of 6.


What is the problem in my thought process here?

t= sqrt(2x/(1/6)a) = sqrt(12x/a); t increases by a factor of sqrt12.

wait im confusing myself.. i think your right about the 6 cause the 2 is already in it. idk about this example as i dont think time really depends on anything. maybe you gotta substitute one in the other to really figure it out, but i cant tell you for sure cause idk for sure. i have never seen a question asking time dependence on a.

something like F=kq/r^2; if r increases by a factor of 6, then f is decreased by a factor of 36 makes more sense.
 
Last edited:
forgot to mention that the correct answer is that it increases by a factor of 6

in the second equation you can get t increasing by a factor of 6, but idk about the first one how to get 6. questions like these are stupid.

in the first eq you can get t^2 increases by a factor of 6, which is why this question is dumb.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey all, I always end up confusing myself on certain things such as the following

If a is reduced to a/6, what happens to t?

Originally I wrote down

x=1/2 at^2, rearranged for t and got t = sqrt(2x/a). Looking at this I thought alright, so it will increase by a factor of sqrt 6

But then I wrote down

Vf = Vo + at

And saw that they were just simply inverse of each other which means that t would increase by a factor of 6.


What is the problem in my thought process here?

I did this really fast in my head on intuition but I'm not sure that's the best way now that I'm seeing your equations. Anyway, I was basically thinking a=v/t so a is inversely proportional to t. Acceleration decreases, time increases.
 
I did this really fast in my head on intuition but I'm not sure that's the best way now that I'm seeing your equations. Anyway, I was basically thinking a=v/t so a is inversely proportional to t. Acceleration decreases, time increases.

way to simplify it 🙂.. haha i been doing too much review today.
 
I did this really fast in my head on intuition but I'm not sure that's the best way now that I'm seeing your equations. Anyway, I was basically thinking a=v/t so a is inversely proportional to t. Acceleration decreases, time increases.
Assuming it is a projectile that OP is talking about that lands at the same height from which it falls, t=2v/a, but that gets the same answer as you got in terms of how much t increases.

y=vt-1/2gt^2
y=0 (because the displacement is zero once it lands)
vt=1/2gt^2
v=1/2gt (divided both sides by t)
2v/g=t (rearranged to solve for t)
 
Assuming it is a projectile that OP is talking about that lands at the same height from which it falls, t=2v/a, but that gets the same answer as you got in terms of how much t increases.

y=vt-1/2gt^2
y=0 (because the displacement is zero once it lands)
vt=1/2gt^2
v=1/2gt (divided both sides by t)
2v/g=t (rearranged to solve for t)


nice.. i love algebra. 2 more classes for a math minor 😎
 
Assuming it is a projectile that OP is talking about that lands at the same height from which it falls, t=2v/a, but that gets the same answer as you got in terms of how much t increases.

y=vt-1/2gt^2
y=0 (because the displacement is zero once it lands)
vt=1/2gt^2
v=1/2gt (divided both sides by t)
2v/g=t (rearranged to solve for t)

👍