relationship with other specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncogene

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are the relationships between podiatry and the other medical specialties during residency and clinical rotations? Also, How are the relationships between the med student and pod students in the schools that apply? I have heard that the residents in other specialties sometimes look down on the podiatric residents and students. I don't really care all that much but, I am curious. I a sure if you knoe your stuff and work hard it doesn't really matter. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

oncogene said:
How are the relationships between podiatry and the other medical specialties during residency and clinical rotations? Also, How are the relationships between the med student and pod students in the schools that apply? I have heard that the residents in other specialties sometimes look down on the podiatric residents and students. I don't really care all that much but, I am curious. I a sure if you knoe your stuff and work hard it doesn't really matter. Thanks.

In my residency program, we have a great working relationship with the other medical specialities, including Orthopedic Surgery. When the residents in my residency program do the Internal Medicine and General Surgery rotations in the first year, they are treated like any other intern on that service. The Podiatry residents are assigned the same patient load as the other interns/residents and we take in house call and admit patients on those services. I think that one of the advantages of having a great relationship with the internal medicine and general surgery services is that you get to work closely with the residents on those services. If you decide to stay in the area, you already have a referral source from these various medicine and surgery residents. One of the graduates of my residency program already gets referrals from one of the Family Practice Residency grad because the FP grad knows the Podiatric Surgery resident grad well.

oncogene said:

I dont have any experience with this, but I can tell you what an APMA board member told me while they were visiting DMU. He is an attending at one of the podiatric residency hospitals, I forgot which one. The Internal Med director there told him that the best resident that he has seen rotating through internal med (this includes the internal residents themselves) was a podiatric resident. This goes to show that they respect you for what you know and how good of a clinician you are and not because of the specialty you are going into.