Relationships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Melly731

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I feel very alone with my situation but I was wondering if anyone has had the same experience or know anyone with the same experience.

My boyfriend and I have been dating 2 years now and since we knew each other we were premeds together. We applied 3 times. This year my boyfriend got in and I didn't. He had to move for school and now we are long distance. In addition to long distance I feel really inferior and it hurts me every time he talks about the people in his class or his med school experience. I want to be happy for him but I'm afraid he will move on without me and I feel like I will never get in.

I don't know if this will work out. Has anyone else been in a relationship where one person gets in and the other doesn't?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You sound really selfish.

Anyways if you are in the US, a place with 70% female overweight/obesity rate, you can easily dump him and move on to any hot, rich guys of your choice as long as you are not fat.

Anyways if you are in the US, a place with 70% female overweight/obesity rate, you can easily dump him and move on to any hot, rich guys of your choice as long as you are not fat.
:wtf:

@Melly731
I'm sorry to hear about your situation, and while I haven't been in that exact spot, I have been in analogous ones and the emotional stress is tough.
This relationship might not work out, or it might- it all depends on things I don't know and can't predict about your situation.
One small suggestion would be to have a long, honest talk with him. Emphasize that you are happy for him, but that you're still upset about not getting in. Ask if he can give you a grace period (say a month) where he tries his best not to gush about med school, and you use that time to breathe, adjust, and plan for your next step (whether that's reapplying or something else).
Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

What was that about dude???

Melly,

I have no advice about the feeling of inferiority, but I do have a lot of experience with LDRs. It takes a lot - and I mean A LOT - of self-care to keep from driving yourself nuts with fears and insecurities. It's tough. Be strong and focus on your own goals.

Might be best to go to a counselor about this. Depression is poorly managed on anonymous internet message boards.

All applicants should approach this process with the idea that they may never be doctors.

Hi,

I feel very alone with my situation but I was wondering if anyone has had the same experience or know anyone with the same experience.

My boyfriend and I have been dating 2 years now and since we knew each other we were premeds together. We applied 3 times. This year my boyfriend got in and I didn't. He had to move for school and now we are long distance. In addition to long distance I feel really inferior and it hurts me every time he talks about the people in his class or his med school experience. I want to be happy for him but I'm afraid he will move on without me and I feel like I will never get in.

I don't know if this will work out. Has anyone else been in a relationship where one person gets in and the other doesn't?

Thanks

Might be best to go to a counselor about this. Depression is poorly managed on anonymous internet message boards.

All applicants should approach this process with the idea that they may never be doctors.
Agree on both counts.

OP, a forced break from applying to get your emotional house in order may actually be a blessing in disguise. Get yourself in a healthy headspace first, and then you can reconsider trying this whole med school bit.