Relearning Sciences for the OAT - Can I do it?!

twelvesixteen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all.

I am going into my 4th year of my BSc majoring in psychology in a couple weeks here (yay! almost done!). I took my first year bio/chem/physics, and genetics, ochem I and II, ecology/evolution, and biochem in second year. That was two years ago. I haven't touched any of that since. I'm having a really hard time getting back into the mode, since A) I find the material unstimulating, and B) I've been away from studying chem/physics-style for so long. I need to write the OAT by early-mid November, since my application for Berkeley is due December 1st. I'm not struggling with any other part of my application, just the OAT! I'm really worried I'll bomb it and not have time to re-take it. We just had a family crisis this past winter semester, and I just decided on optometry in about June so it's taken me awhile to recover.

What did you guys use to study for the OAT, and do you have any tips for me to finish in two months? I have 4 courses in the fall, two of them have labs, and I dance 2 hours a day from 6-8 for five days a week. I swear it is the only thing that keeps me sane! This summer I worked like a madwoman so I am not working this school year at all. I have huge breaks Tuesday Thursday as well as weekends completely free. Do you think I can do it?! I'm really frightened... any advice would be helpful. The reason why I am so worried is because first year but especially second year sciences really stressed me out, so much so that I switched my major from biology to psychology, but I really am passionate about optometry.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! First of all, this is totally doable. Don't stress too much. I just wrote my OAT yesterday(390TS/380AA). I studied for about 5 weeks, while working full time. I clocked a couple hours a day, every day, and I think that's a good way to do it. I hadn't touched ochem in 2 years, and it had been at least a year for most of the other subjects. I used the Kaplan OAT guide, which was VERY helpful. At the bottom of this link(https://www.ada.org/oat/oat_examinee_guide.pdf), there is a list of everything that you need to know. I started with the subject I was least confident about(ochem), and worked my way toward the subject I was most comfortable with(biology), just in case I budgeted my time poorly.

The Kaplan book was honestly great, probably raised my overall score 20 points or so. It gives you a fantastic idea of the scope and variety of the questions, explains the test itself quite well, and has 2 practice tests. It also had a score conversion chart so you could see what your approximate score would be from a practice test.

Don't be frightened, be confident. I won't lie, I was nervous for the last few weeks before the test, but once you get into the last couple days, there's not much more you can do. You should be all studied up, and it'll show in the test(which isn't as daunting as you'd imagine, it's kind of calm).

So essentially, study in small chunks and get lots of sleep. I got a lot more out of reading 4 hours worth of material in 2 2 hour blocks than reading it all at once. Start with your biggest worry, leave your comfortable material to the end. Do the practice tests! The explanations for the questions can be invaluable, they explain things concisely and clearly, and may save you time when reviewing. For physics and chemistry, have a good understanding of formulas! They are easily as important as the theory of those subjects.

I hope this helps! You definitely have enough time to accomplish this, just keep calm and don't put it off. Best of luck to you!

I agree with the above post. I, myself am relearning my sciences since its been a little while since I graduated. But in addition to the Kaplan books I've been studying from I've been viewing Chad's videos which are really, really helpful when you need someone to explain something without reading it from a book. As well as and some AP Books...I've used Barron's AP Biology, also great, very comprehensive and to the point and so far Kaplan SAT Physics is also really good...all these combined will really get you back on your feet with the sciences.
I hope this has helped! Good Luck!

I have been trying to obtain the big Kaplan OAT book and have found it on Amazon, but all the sellers refuse to ship to Canada! Outrageous! And it's not in stores or in the library anywhere here - just the two extraneous practice exams.

The materials I have so far are the ExamKrackers for the MCAT (because they are comprehensive and colorful, two things I thoroughly enjoy), the OAT destroyer (both physics and the other monster one), the two Kaplan practice exams, and I have ordered Cliffnotes AP biology, its 5 practice exams and flashcards (because I am terrified of the "random" things they may throw at me - and biology is not my strong suit at all), and also Cliffnotes Standardized Test Math review notes because of some people's advice to get a GRE/GMAT book (those were more expensive... Cliffnotes was $8!). Do you think that will be enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey twelvesixteen,

I'm selling my big Kaplan OAT book as well as other books I used to study for the OAT. Let me know if youre interested.

What is it about optometry in particular that you are so passionate about? I think you may want to really identify that because

A) I find the material unstimulating,

is a problem. Everything else you can overcome easily in 2 months, but if you don't like the material then you may want to reconsider. A large part of your first 2 years of optometry school will be this same kind of stuff and if you don't find it interesting then this may not be the field for you. I never realized how much of that stuff I would actually care about when I was in practice until I started optometry school, but it is a huge part of what you are going to do as an optometrist. Don't get so focused on getting through this test that you forget that this is the rest of your life that you are preparing for.

That aside (and I would really consider that fact before you proceed) I think you can get the OAT score. I agree with Eyeguy that you will want the Kaplan materials. I would search the classifieds to find those materials. They are what really got me through my OAT. I studied maybe 2 hours a day for a month and a half then really hammered it for the last two weeks. It is certainly doable, but make sure it is really what you want to do.