Relevant High School experiences in personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a_bigger_fish

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know that it is not advisable to include high school experiences on the AMCAS application, but what about talking about one of them as a minor focus of a personal statement? The reason being, I worked as a certified nurse assistant in a nursing home for about 1 year, and was responsible for the care of 6 or 7 patients at any given time during my shifts. I figure this is much more relevant than just shadowing or volunteering in a clinic as I actually was involved in patient care.

Members don't see this ad.

So I know that it is not advisable to include high school experiences on the AMCAS application, but what about talking about one of them as a minor focus of a personal statement? The reason being, I worked as a certified nurse assistant in a nursing home for about 1 year, and was responsible for the care of 6 or 7 patients at any given time during my shifts. I figure this is much more relevant than just shadowing or volunteering in a clinic as I actually was involved in patient care.
It's perfectly fine to mention this experience in the PS as part of your path to medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it's completely okay. My own statement was about a experience I had when I was literally still in the beginning of high school and how that led me to medicine. But at the middle to end of my statement, I made sure to include recent college and clinical experiences that further affirmed medicine. good luck :)