Relevant High School experiences in personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

a_bigger_fish

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I know that it is not advisable to include high school experiences on the AMCAS application, but what about talking about one of them as a minor focus of a personal statement? The reason being, I worked as a certified nurse assistant in a nursing home for about 1 year, and was responsible for the care of 6 or 7 patients at any given time during my shifts. I figure this is much more relevant than just shadowing or volunteering in a clinic as I actually was involved in patient care.
 
So I know that it is not advisable to include high school experiences on the AMCAS application, but what about talking about one of them as a minor focus of a personal statement? The reason being, I worked as a certified nurse assistant in a nursing home for about 1 year, and was responsible for the care of 6 or 7 patients at any given time during my shifts. I figure this is much more relevant than just shadowing or volunteering in a clinic as I actually was involved in patient care.
It's perfectly fine to mention this experience in the PS as part of your path to medicine.
 
I think it's completely okay. My own statement was about a experience I had when I was literally still in the beginning of high school and how that led me to medicine. But at the middle to end of my statement, I made sure to include recent college and clinical experiences that further affirmed medicine. good luck 🙂