Relevant Work Experience Resume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marissa4usa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am in the process of applying for some research assistant jobs. Right now I am in the middle of completing all those online forms that do not leave much room for variation. All of them are asking for my employment history. I have almost 5 years of research experience from being an undergraduate and graduate RA, however, I was never paid. Currently, in my masters program I am receiving a stipend for being a TA. So, can I list my research experience as "employment" and just say that that my salary was $0 ?
Also, I am an international student and didn't work at all during college, so I have a 4 year gap in my employment history. And all my jobs before college were in my home country 5000 miles away and could not be any less relevant for the jobs I am currently applying for.

Any ideas how to handle it?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

If the skills you "employed" in the work (paid or unpaid) are comparable to those in a potential paid position then it may be fair to list what you did. There is a great deal of ambiguity about these things given how "internships" are used for both paid and unpaid status. Just be ready to explain the different status once you get in a actual contact with someone so you can clarify the difference in the positions.