bullous_pemphigoid

2+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2018
Status
Non-Student
Hello, everyone! Can anyone share their experiences in residency regarding remediation, holding residents back etc. How were people informed about this? How far ahead of time? We’re any specific actions done prior to informing the residents about remediation? Meetings, talks? Anyone tried to help you/someone you know personally academically or socially? How many people were held back at the same time?

Does that sound appalling to you that a certain program holds back 3-4 residents per year? It’s hard to know about true reasons, but even if reasons are legit, how does it speak about education that program offers, if so many people have to repeat? And if residents fear to approach program and/or ACGME about this because of potential repercussions, what else can be done? And generally it’s very hard to provide any evidence, as you all my understand. Most of the residents know every single flaw of the program, fear quietly for their destiny and don’t do anything.

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Your questions are so broad that it's almost impossible for us to try and help you without some context. From your prior posts, it seems that you're an IMG near the end of your first year in an FM program after failing to transfer into an OB/GYN spot, but I can't glean any additional details.

Regardless, these threads always end the same way. It is entirely possible that your program has failed you either by not providing appropriate education to get you to a PGY-2 level, or (hopefully unlikely) are targeting you in retribution for trying to transfer out earlier in the year. At the end of the day, you generally have no recourse. The ACGME does not govern individual disputes between programs and residencies. You can look at your contract to see if there is some clause regarding remediation that they did not follow, but generally doing so will only further damage any remaining goodwill between you and the program and they will likely then just check off the necessary boxes required in your contract to move forward with remediation. You may call this "fearing quietly for your destiny and not doing anything," but generally your best move is going to be putting your head down, working your butt off to prove you're improving, and move on with your life.

Finally, this is speculation, but even if you were caught blindsided by this I would encourage you to have some introspection here about what may have led your program to decide you need remediation. Is it possible that, rather than this being pure retaliation, that your program noticed that you were more pre-occupied with switching to another specialty, and thus weren't picking up the skills you needed to progress within FM to PGY-2 status? I know you were hoping to transfer out, but that didn't happen, so if there is any chance there is some truth to that it's time to fully dedicate yourself to your current program and show them that you can succeed where you are.

Last edited:

neoexile

2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2016
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hello, everyone! Can anyone share their experiences in residency regarding remediation, holding residents back etc. How were people informed about this? How far ahead of time? We’re any specific actions done prior to informing the residents about remediation? Meetings, talks? Anyone tried to help you/someone you know personally academically or socially? How many people were held back at the same time?

Does that sound appalling to you that a certain program holds back 3-4 residents per year? It’s hard to know about true reasons, but even if reasons are legit, how does it speak about education that program offers, if so many people have to repeat? And if residents fear to approach program and/or ACGME about this because of potential repercussions, what else can be done? And generally it’s very hard to provide any evidence, as you all my understand. Most of the residents know every single flaw of the program, fear quietly for their destiny and don’t do anything.
Usually if someone is placed on remediation, it's not a light decision. There are a few residents from the intern year on remediation at my program and with those residents, they generally lack the insight to figure out what is wrong. You'll hear plenty of complaints from attendings and other seniors about these residents. Often, they will get feedback, but they will refuse to accept. The biggest problem is that generally they lie and place patient safety in jeopardy.

That's at my program. But I'm not sure about others.

About the Ads