Remembering the polarity of each amino acid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlondeCookie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the 20 basic amino acids, is there an easy way to remember which ones are polar and which are non-polar? A mnenomic or something?

Members don't see this ad.

BlondeCookie said:
For the 20 basic amino acids, is there an easy way to remember which ones are polar and which are non-polar? A mnenomic or something?

nonpolar:

I SAW LUCY METHODICALLY PROBE and FEEL ALAN, then VAL GRAB LUCY

Glycine (Grab), alanine (Alan), and proline (Probe), Phenylalanine (Feel), valine (Val), leucine (Lucy), isoleucine (I Saw), and methionine (Methodically)

it's an ok mnemonic...sticks with me (it's partially from EK)

xxbruinxx said:
nonpolar:

Glycine (Grab), alanine (Alan), and proline (Probe), Phenylalanine (Feel), valine (Val), leucine (Lucy), isoleucine (I Saw), and methionine (Methodically)

That's a good one. I made one up for myself yesterday, and it's pretty dirty...I was telling my mom it, and she told me not to say in front of my little sister :rolleyes:

Here's another;
Basic AA's: "Basically, Lick A$$Hole" for Basic: Lysine, Arginine, Histidine.

Acidic AA's: since there are only two, you'd be spending more time memorizing a mneumonic than learning the AA...I just think "AG", Aspartic and Glutamic Acid.

I have my own mneumonic for the nonpolar AA's as I mentioned above...so by deduction I know which ones are uncharged polar AA's.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahaha. Next time I see a doctor, I'll be forced to wonder if they used similar dirty mneumonics in med school while they're examining me.

Cool mneumonic though, I will probably be using it.

juiceman311 said:
That's a good one. I made one up for myself yesterday, and it's pretty dirty...I was telling my mom it, and she told me not to say in front of my little sister :rolleyes:

Here's another;
Basic AA's: "Basically, Lick A$$Hole" for Basic: Lysine, Arginine, Histidine.

Acidic AA's: since there are only two, you'd be spending more time memorizing a mneumonic than learning the AA...I just think "AG", Aspartic and Glutamic Acid.

I have my own mneumonic for the nonpolar AA's as I mentioned above...so by deduction I know which ones are uncharged polar AA's.

Good luck

xxbruinxx said:
nonpolar:

Aren't you missing 3 or so? Tryosine, tryptosine and cytseine. However they are spelled.

Yes, you are missing some. Hmm. Doesn't seem like a very good mnemonic.