-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
remembrances
Started by ScotchBonnet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Has anyone here passed the AP and CP boards without using remembrances?
Almost certainly everyone who passed the first exam did. But snark aside, there are enough review books and question books to pass now without them. I had remembrances when I took my boards but often times they were flat wrong or confusing and if I did it again I wouldn't use them, especially with how they are viewed and being watched for right now. In my opinion they are more trouble than they are worth. When you're in residency and someone at a lecture says "this is often covered by the boards", "this was asked about on my boards" or some variation on that, I would write that down and build a pseudo-remembrance based on those.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone here passed the AP and CP boards without using remembrances?
I passed the CP boards without even taking the test.
First rule of Rememberances: We don't talk about Rememberances.
First rule of Rememberances: We don't talk about Rememberances.
Yes, call them "study guides".
...there are enough review books and question books to pass now without them.
Besides Lefkowitch, what books are you referring to?
Besides Lefkowitch, what books are you referring to?
There's a new ASCP one I just saw at a conference. They have AP and CP question books now.
Besides Lefkowitch, what books are you referring to?
Beside Lefkowitch for AP I don't think you need any; though I also went through Hopkins online case conference several times and felt that helped me a good deal (here: http://pathology2.jhu.edu/sp/) . The question book for the clinical compendium is very good; the Harr book is also good; questions from any review course you go to (I used the ASCP ones) are good the one Lipomas just mentioned is probably great too and similar/more extensive.
The clinical compendium was THE reason I passed CP, also listening to OSLER MP3s while working out helped.
For AP it was just reading about my cases adn going to conferences over the years.
Someone told me that a few of the questions on the test were identical from the remembrances based on the test given the previous year. I was pissed too because after the person went over them with me, I realized I missed them and felt screwed that someone knew the answer instantly, but I don't care now as I passed. They are the few questions I remember from the test today.
For AP it was just reading about my cases adn going to conferences over the years.
Someone told me that a few of the questions on the test were identical from the remembrances based on the test given the previous year. I was pissed too because after the person went over them with me, I realized I missed them and felt screwed that someone knew the answer instantly, but I don't care now as I passed. They are the few questions I remember from the test today.
Beside Lefkowitch for AP I don't think you need any
Thanks for the input.
Interestingly, a handful of my residents who took and passed weren't fond at all of Lefkowitch.
Thanks for the input.
Interestingly, a handful of my residents who took and passed weren't fond at all of Lefkowitch.
It is quite detailed if I remember correctly. . . more information than you actually need to pass. But if you know the questions in that book really well and showed up to work in residency that should be plenty for AP