Remote pharmacy work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gwarm01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever worked for a telepharmacy company? Something like Pipeline RX. I work in informatics and currently have a weekend job at a community hospital, but it's a bit of a hike for me when I have to drive out there.

What were your hours like? What is the time obligation? Pay? Did you have any clinical involvement, or was it just verifying orders?

I'd really like a gig that lets me keep up my clinical skills while I'm working in IT, and the comfort of working from home sounds appealing. My current side job is pretty relaxed compared to what I'm used to. I don't attend codes, patient acuity is fairly low due to it being a community hospital, and it's rare that I find myself in some sort of emergency situation that I'm not prepared for. We still have a lot of clinical involvement due to pretty decent hospital policies which give me a lot of freedom to order things for patients being seen by the hospitalists.

I'd appreciate the feedback. I'm just a simple IT pharmacist who wants to buy an expensive car next year and also maintain and acceptable baseline knowledge of clinical practice in case I'm ever kicked to the curb at my main job.

Members don't see this ad.

The most clinical thing our remote pharmacists do is renally adjusting orders they verify. They do not do PK, and anything that needs clarification or an intervention they flag for the floor/site pharmacists.

Reactions: 1 user
I would like to hear more about the expensive car

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to hear more about the expensive car

Nothing too crazy, but I have a Tesla Model 3 on reserve and I'm sure I'll add a lot of options to make it the perfect ride.

Then it can drive me home after these weekend shifts and I can just take a nap.

Nothing too crazy, but I have a Tesla Model 3 on reserve and I'm sure I'll add a lot of options to make it the perfect ride.

Then it can drive me home after these weekend shifts and I can just take a nap.

Just curious, why not the Tesla Model S? (or whatever the flagship model is called)

Yeah I was more interested in hearing about the expensive car :p. I also do lots of moonlighting and keep myself motivated by devoting all of my extra earnings to my new car fund and other fun stuff. But I'm going for something in the S Class/7 series/A8/LS/Porsche Panamera range. Need something to cruise down the highway in luxury and comfort because one of my jobs is 40 miles/45 mins away.

Anyway, back on topic, I actually do it the other way round. I work at home for my full time gig, and it works out really well because we have fixed schedules (mine is Tue-Fri 10a-8:30p) so I can arrange my moonlighting well in advance. Pay is mid $50s/hr with full benefits, but you save a lot of time and money by not commuting, getting ready for work, or buying clothes, shoes, lunches, etc. Admittedly I'm just verifying scripts, with no patient or doctor contact at all, and any issues you just hand off to the onsite pharmacists to handle. So that's why I go out and moonlight on my days off to get my 'fix' of clinical practice.

Were these 'expensive item funds' while you had student loans? I feel like with my loans the only luxury items I buy are 1K $ TVs. I wouldn't pay twice as much for OLED yet, but my Sammy KS8000 was my best purchase I made this year.

Last edited:
Were these 'expensive item funds' while you had student loans? I feel like with my loans the only luxury items I buy are 1K $ TVs. I wouldn't pay twice as much for OLED yet, but my Sammy KS8000 was my best purchase I made this year.

Was that question to me? No, I was very frugal as a student, then while I was paying off my student loans, then I paid off my mortgage, so I'm completely done with debt and will not borrow money anymore. I feel that once you've made it to this point of being debt free, it's like climbing Everest. You find contentment because you've been to the top, and now you're going down the other side. If instead you just keep borrowing money to buy more and more expensive things, you'll never find the top and you'll never be content, because the banks will just keep trying to loan you more money to buy more stuff.

Reactions: 2 users
Just curious, why not the Tesla Model S? (or whatever the flagship model is called)

It's too big for my taste (currently drive a 2 seater) and costs twice as much. It's a very nice car though.

It's too big for my taste (currently drive a 2 seater) and costs twice as much. It's a very nice car though.

Makes sense. BTW, I remember that about a year ago (maybe during the summer?), there was a company that was advertising on job listing sites like Indeed.com for remote pharmacists to work at home doing what seemed to be call center-type work. I think it was advertised as a part time thing where you only had to work at least 10 hours/week and was supposed to be a somewhat flexible position. Do you know what company this is? I thought I bookmarked the link, but for some reason, I can't seem to find it anymore.

Makes sense. BTW, I remember that about a year ago (maybe during the summer?), there was a company that was advertising on job listing sites like Indeed.com for remote pharmacists to work at home doing what seemed to be call center-type work. I think it was advertised as a part time thing where you only had to work at least 10 hours/week and was supposed to be a somewhat flexible position. Do you know what company this is? I thought I bookmarked the link, but for some reason, I can't seem to find it anymore.
Selling medical discount program subscriptions, probably. Big ol' scam.

Selling medical discount program subscriptions, probably. Big ol' scam.

Not sure... I remember that the job ad mentioned that applicants specifically had to be pharmacists (no techs). I want to say that the company's name started with an "E."

Yeah, I'm at year 4/10 on my loans. I graduated pharmacy school at 28, own a house, have a wife, two cars. I wasn't really in a position to do the "live like a student" thing for 5 years after graduation, and even if I was, I just don't want to. If I would have taken the quick path and graduated pharmacy school at 24-25 then I could see myself doing that, but I'm at a point where I want to enjoy life a little more. The side job was my way of doing that responsibly, although I spent my first year's worth of income paying off debt and making repairs to the house. Hopefully this year goes better and I can keep that cash for myself.