Removed, thaknks for help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jesuisbacke

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Removed, got help thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are in a good position for MD/PhD or PhD only. Consult with the Research Scientists forum.
I want to apply MD only, but I don't want to be in a bad spot for top research heavy MD schools. I'm just wondering which schools would be difficult due to lack of productivity and if this productivity would hurt significantly at T20s,

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to apply MD only, but I don't want to be in a bad spot for top research heavy MD schools. I'm just wondering which schools would be difficult due to lack of productivity and if this productivity would hurt significantly at T20s,
You are fine, and near the point where you will be asked why not PhD. One paper is more than enough for productivity IMO. Likely reached cannon fodder level (for research). Others may disagree.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You are fine, and near the point where you will be asked why not PhD. One paper is more than enough for productivity IMO. Likely reached cannon fodder level (for research). Others may disagree.
Awesome, thanks. I did consider PhD in the past, so I have a strong rationale for MD. If the paper isn’t submitted or complications arise regarding that, will the published abstract, non presenting poster and manuscript being nearly ready to submit show decent evidence of productivity for research heavy schools? I saw @LizzyM reacting, I really appreciate it, and was curious for both of your thoughts on this situation as well as anyone else with insight. Thanks!

The only other "productivity" I have (not sure if this counts) is a national conference abstract that was published in a journal supplement, as well as being listed on national conference posters.
This totally counts. You'd be in the top tier or one down from the top in research experience with this on your application for a T20 MD program.

Reactions: 2 users
This totally counts. You'd be in the top tier or one down from the top in research experience with this on your application for a T20 MD program.
That sounds great, thanks for the help! In this case, even as of the present, research should be robust and should not hold me back even for the top research powerhouses?

That sounds great, thanks for the help! In this case, even as of the present, research should be robust and should not hold me back even for the top research powerhouses?
Yes, that is what every response has been saying so far lol.

2000 hours over 3 years, a basic science project nearing completion, and a (hopefully) glowing LOR from your PI will be more than sufficient at even the whoriest of research-oriented schools. If you don't get in, it won't be because of the lack of a publication. Just my thoughts.

My n=1 ORM kid has over 2000+ hours first author level Research with no publications at the time of application/interviews but glowing letter from PI and got multiple T10 admissions with scholarships. No gap years and enough clinical and non-clinical hours. Hopefully your GPA and MCAT are within T20 range

Reactions: 1 user
2000 hours over 3 years, a basic science project nearing completion, and a (hopefully) glowing LOR from your PI will be more than sufficient at even the whoriest of research-oriented schools. If you don't get in, it won't be because of the lack of a publication. Just my thoughts.

For these, I wasn't the first author, but I contributed pretty significantly (couple of independent projects coupled with other projects, and I'll be listed pretty high up on the author list for all of the deliverables (if it matters). I don't think I made this clear, but does this change anyone's evaluation? Should have a strong letter as well! Thanks again for all the help!

For these, I wasn't the first author, but I contributed pretty significantly (couple of independent projects coupled with other projects, and I'll be listed pretty high up on the author list for all of the deliverables (if it matters). I don't think I made this clear, but does this change anyone's evaluation? Should have a strong letter as well! Thanks again for all the help!
Not unless you are going for a PhD. Seriously, your motivation or standards reflect a strong research interest resembling aspiring PhD students.

Your authorship won't matter. T20s are most definitely very selective, but even they are not expecting 1st author publications from undergrads. They want to see that you took the time to understand the scientific method. Obviously, there are multiple students who do apply with first author pubs or C/N/S pubs, but these are few and far between and often the product of being at the right place at the right time, so don't overthink your position. You are fine.

Reactions: 1 users
No one expects first author paper from undergraduates.

Reactions: 1 users