*Removed*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your clinical hours are much too low to be competitive as a straight MD. You need at least 200 hours of meaningful clinical volunteering.

How many times have you taken the MCAT? 509 is on the low side for MD-PhD applicants?

Have you considered retaking the MCAT after significant additional preparation or in the alternative doing a lot more clinical volunteering?

The research experience and productivity is impressive.

I suggest you tag someone in medical admissions about the wisdom of disclosing your learning disability.

Your clinical hours are much too low to be competitive as a straight MD. You need at least 200 hours of meaningful clinical volunteering.

How many times have you taken the MCAT? 509 is on the low side for MD-PhD applicants?

Have you considered retaking the MCAT after significant additional preparation or in the alternative doing a lot more clinical volunteering?

I suggest you tag someone in medical admissions about the wisdom of disclosing your learning disability.
This is not true? OP has a lot of clinical experience, just because it's not volunteering doesn't mean its not clinical experience. MCAT is low so would recommend retaking if that's an option, but there are definitley some schools on their list that will still give them a shot.

Other impactful experiences recently replaced the disadvantaged essay. It's hard to say exactly what this change means but if you can right a compelling piece than feel free to do so. Most secondaries will have an "other things" essay or an adversity essay that you might be able to adapt something like this too, just keep this in mind and you can decide where is most appropriate for this.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is not true? OP has a lot of clinical experience, just because it's not volunteering doesn't mean its not clinical experience. MCAT is low so would recommend retaking if that's an option, but there are definitley some schools on their list that will still give them a shot.

Other impactful experiences recently replaced the disadvantaged essay. It's hard to say exactly what this change means but if you can right a compelling piece than feel free to do so. Most secondaries will have an "other things" essay or an adversity essay that you might be able to adapt something like this too, just keep this in mind and you can decide where is most appropriate for this.
I misread the OP's post. I agree that the OP has plenty of clinical experience. Paid clinical experience counts too.

MD/PhD programs care about research experience, research productivity and academic excellence (MCAT + GPA).

Reactions: 1 users

*Removed*

Last edited:
I suggest reposting your thread and asking that question on the Physician Scientist forum and tagging @Fencer.

@Fencer is very good about giving applicants a head’s up on their MD-PhD chances.

Agree that touching base with Fencer is a good idea.

For your clinical hours, just make sure you can speak meaningfully about a medical experience (because you will be asked "why not just PhD" many times). Your MCAT is lower than the MD/PhD national average, but is not out of range for some of the "lower ranked" MSTPs and non-MSTP programs. Thankfully your research production is good (again as long as you can speak meaningfully about your findings).

Your school list seems reasonable, but I'd recommend applying much more broadly, as your app has some unique aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.