Renal Acid-Base guide

Discussion in 'Step I' started by The Angriest Bird, Jun 17, 2008.

1. The Angriest Bird

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is an area for which I've always studied hard but have never studied enough. Does anyone have a handy-dandy guide that is sufficient for Step I?

One of my attendings said in one meeting that there's some guide circulating around that's really good for understanding acid-base physiology/pathology. Anyone know what this is? Thank you!

2. osli

osli Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    None of them seem to stick for me. I've seen several, and each time thought "ooh... this looks pretty simple, and it makes sense... perfect" and then a week later I can't remember anything about it.

One thing I finally learned is that if I just took the time to understand renal acid/base physiology, then I could reason out pretty much any question from first principles. I didn't need to try to (once again) memorize rules of thumbs for evaluating disturbances.

But hey... maybe someone else has that magic guide that will work for even me!

3. Monica Lewinsky

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Is it important to memorize the acid/base disorder graph in FA and BRS? I understand acid base physio, but that graph seems like its not worth the time to memorize if you understand ab physio conceptually.

4. It'sElectric

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've expended no energy in memorizing the exact compensations or the nomogram...does anyone know if these are necessary to know??

I agree it's conceptual, and that's exactly how I've gone about understanding it all. Hopefully I still understand it this Saturday.