Renew AOBFP certification vs ABFM AOA Training Pathway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oBMTo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Straight to the point: I am looking for the most affordable way and easiest way to maintain board certification. I completed an AOA-Accredited Family Medicine Residency Program in 2014 and became board certified by AOBFP in 2014. My certification is up for renewal by 2022.

This renewal process appears to be a lot more complicated and costly compared to my initial certification. I would to need to complete four components:
1. Active Medical License
2. Continuing Medical Education ("a minimum of 150 CME credits, including a minimum of 75 credits of AOA Category 1 CME, and 25 credits of AOA Category 1-A CME")
3. Cognitive Assessment
4. Practice Performance Assessment & Improvement

The fourth component is where I have a real big issue. To fulfill it "The AOBFP requires completion of four modules (two OCCAP and two Professionalism) to be completed within the OCC cycle." Looking at the cost of each module here, each one is $525 on top of $500 fee for the cognitive exam for a total $2600. That's in addition to the ridiculous CME requirements and another $200 to the AOA to track your CME.

All of this is forcing me to look in another direction: ABFM AOA Training Pathway. For that I need to complete:
Does anyone know if there is an associated cost for the self-assessment and performance improvement activities? And the cost of the certification exam? That information appears to be hidden. The only cost I can find is the $200 annual certification fee. Has anyone here completed this process?

Members don't see this ad.

I did the entire process 3 years ago. My job reimbursed my costs. Doesn't yours?
My job does not unfortunately. Do you remember roughly how much the entire process costed?

Members don't see this ad :)
DOs are begging for membership right now. You can renew your AOA board certification for just $75 as long as you have an active ABMS certification. Check out ABMS Reciprocity - Main Certification Site
After going to that site I guess it is no longer available:

Reaffirm your osteopathic education & training​

Osteopathic physicians certified by an ABMS member board before Nov. 21, 2020, are now eligible for reciprocal board certification issued through their corresponding AOA specialty or subspecialty.

Reciprocal certification is still available and likely will continue to be available for years to come. DO boards are dying for members.

Not surprised. I am so excited to never have anything to do with DO certification or boards ever again and from what I hear most of my class is as well. What a garbage organization.

Reactions: 1 users