Renew Kaplan...or get UW??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alpha06

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is like a no brainer....but I was just curious as to what you guys think about it.

I just started my studies for boards a few days ago, but I've been taking kaplan qbank for a few weeks to familiarize myself with the type of questions I can expect on the step. So far I am 68% complete. Overall correct 60%. I did all the path, phys., and pathophy. just recently. I think all I have left is micro, immuno, and pharm....and maybe beh. sci.

Don't know if its worth my while to renew since the price to renew is ridiculuos....

Members don't see this ad.

I would do UW. the questions on my exam were very similarly written as UW and the format i.e. the way the test looked was identical to UW, so it made me feel very comfortable on test date. I don't know what kaplan qbank looks like or what kind of q's they ask so i can't comment on it, but i am very happy i chose to do UW.

Members don't see this ad :)
The opinion of most people I know at my school who tried both question banks preferred the well-written questions (great taste) and succinct but sufficient explanations (less filling) of USMLEWorld. I used UW on their recommendation, and i don't regret it one bit.

Since u have started it why don't u finish it up and move to USMLEworld???
If u can afford it then I don't see why u shd leave Kaplan with so many subjects yet to go

If u can afford it then I don't see why u shd leave Kaplan with so many subjects yet to go

I agree with this.

Kaplan gets bashed, but after doing 400 on Uworld, I dont know, my %s are converging. Also, Uworld can be nitpicky too (just like kaplan). So, in the end IMHO kaplan isn't all that bad and one should try to get through it all (this applies to me as well :idea:)

Unfortunately my kaplan qbank has already expired. And since I have done 68% of the questions I figure I start UW and have a fresh batch of questions at a cheaper price.

If I spent any more money renewing kaplan and finish it early in my review I would end up getting UW anyway. So by getting UW now, I save time and money. :D

Having taken the exam, and having done both UW and Kaplan, I can say that UW is MUCH MUCH more like the real thing. Kaplan was not representative at all. Others may disagree, but this was very clearly my experience.

I agree whole-heartedly - you won't be disappointed

kaplan is a great learning tool. u will find the explanations very helpful.

UW's questions are very similar to Step 1 in style.

take ur pick.