Repeat applicant personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TN86

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm a repeat applicant this year and will be applying to a different specialty. I am switching from EM to FM. As I review my personal statement, I can't figure out a way to address this without it coming off as negative or fake. "I applied to EM last year, s**t the bed, then realized FM was right for me" is pretty much how it sounds whichever way I try to explain it. How would you go about explaining this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

@TN86, could you explain the situation better? did you do 1 year of EM or u just applied to EM and didn't match?

Hey everyone!

I'm a repeat applicant this year and will be applying to a different specialty. I am switching from EM to FM. As I review my personal statement, I can't figure out a way to address this without it coming off as negative or fake. "I applied to EM last year, s**t the bed, then realized FM was right for me" is pretty much how it sounds whichever way I try to explain it. How would you go about explaining this situation?
I'm a repeat applicant too but not sure if you have to mention that in your PS.

I'm a repeat applicant too but not sure if you have to mention that in your PS.

You don't have to mention it, but you do have to account for the time. Programs will be curious about the gap between medical school are applying for residency,so I personally prefer when applicants address the issue. If you've done something since July that might pass as an intended plan (research, couples matching with SO who was a year behind you), focus on that. If not, focus on what you learned and how you've grown. Perhaps your medical school adviser could help you craft a compelling statement.

Reactions: 1 user