Repeat Questions on Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LittleRocker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many secondaries ask the EXACT same questions that are on the primary. Without getting into a rant about "well did you even read the primary?" Is it OK to repeat the answers?

Example: One of my secondaries asks "have you ever been the recipient of institutional action... explain)" I already answered this in the primary (I was on academic probation) and went into all the detail that I need to. ALSO, many schools ask you to explain any bad grades, which again I addressed fully in the institutional action question. What should I do about that? copy paste again? Basically I already have a nicely written statement about my bad grades (1300 characters) and there is nothing else I have to say about it.

Members don't see this ad.

schools usually give you more space on the secondary (usually at least twice as much space as the primary) so I guess they want a more thorough explanation. I think it would be hard NOT to repeat stuff from your primary but make sure to flesh it out more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm having similar problems with UMich's "select an experience and talk about how it impacted your decision to go into medicine" question. Did they really think that I wouldn't have spent my entire PS talking about that already?

I'm having similar problems with UMich's "select an experience and talk about how it impacted your decision to go into medicine" question. Did they really think that I wouldn't have spent my entire PS talking about that already?

I was annoyed by that too. But I think from all your extracurricular experiences, it's probably possible to find another activity to talk about. Doesn't have to relate as directly to medicine as the activities mentioned in your primary, but as long as you can find a link of some sort, this is an excellent opportunity to talk about something else that you've done.