Repeating Courses (sciences)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b4dental

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is repeating a course in the sciences helpful or not? I know this is going to sound a bit silly, but I received a C in genetics, mainly because i took 4 science classes that semester.

Does anyone think repeating the class will look good on my dental school application, because in my school repeated classes that are not D or F are averaged out with your new grade. So, even with an A, I would actually receive a B in the course.

Comments would really help. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

b4dental said:
Is repeating a course in the sciences helpful or not? I know this is going to sound a bit silly, but I received a C in genetics, mainly because i took 4 science classes that semester.

Does anyone think repeating the class will look good on my dental school application, because in my school repeated classes that are not D or F are averaged out with your new grade. So, even with an A, I would actually receive a B in the course.

good question. i was told that if i made a C or D in bio 1, then A's in Genetics, Cell bio, Molec Bio, and Virology would make up for it!

i don't think you should retake the C - maybe you had a rough semester with all those classes, it happens!

besides, if you took it again, you are 'expected' to get an A, right? so when you do, ad coms wouldn't really be impressed, but that's my opinion.

b4dental said:

If you repeat a course both grades will still be factored into the AADSAS GPA calculations. If you repeat the course, the only benefit would be a slight boost to you GPA. Because an 'A' is an 'A' when AADSAS calculates the GPA regardless of what your school polic is on repeated courses. Also, if you only have one C, then I wouldn't worry too much about. Stuff happens, so long as you can explain the grade, move on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took chem 1 and I got an A last semester, and am taking chem 2 this semester and will likely receive an A as well. Both courses are at a community college.

However, I feel that I didn't learn as much as I should have. If I repeat the year sequence of general chemistry at a 4-year school, would they look down upon it?

A good compromise is to retake chem 2, repeating the whole year would look a little strange.

I forgot to mention I didn't take a lab for one of the courses, and the general chemistry courses at the 4-year is a combination of lecture/lab (it's one course together).

Would you recommend me taking the lab over the summer at the CC, or to take over the general chemistry courses?

Yea, dont' repeat it. Take another higher up biology course. It does two things, improves your GPA and you are a stronger, better rounded biology student. Only repeat the course if you fail it.

I know i'm just adding to the repetitive responses, but for the sake of emphasizing it:

DO NOT...retake science classes. Dental schools always suggest u not do that. Plus it is a lose-lose situation. If you got a "C" then get an "A" admissions will just say: "Yea u better get an A in this course u took the damn thing twice"

Worst case scenario if you do NOT get an "A", then admissions will be stunned at the fact that u took the same class twice and still couldn't get an "A" and since AADSAS avgs the 2 grades it won't really help that much. Keep in mind, even though u took it twice, admissions will always remember the grade u got in the course the first time around.

I know b/c i took orgo2 over again b/c i got a "C" and during some of my interviews i got questions asking why i retook it, and they literally told me, it is not something they would suggest students do. Luckily i got accepted to those schools so i have no regrets now, but u get my drift. My advice...go on with the rest of your upper level bio courses and ACE them to compensate.
GOOD LUCK!