Repeating myself in secondaries... Do people access your whole secondary at once?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justapremedguy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm filling out a secondary that asks for my activities this upcoming year and then asks if I've had 3+ months from starting college until now that I wasnt in school or working full time. I have been, and will continue, working part time until matriculation.
Should I repeat myself exactly on the second question? Should I just say no (implying that I'm working full time?) Should I just reference my previous answer in this one?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm filling out a secondary that asks for my activities this upcoming year and then asks if I've had 3+ months from starting college until now that I wasnt in school or working full time. I have been, and will continue, working part time until matriculation.
Should I repeat myself exactly on the second question? Should I just say no (implying that I'm working full time?) Should I just reference my previous answer in this one?
???? If they are asking the same question two different ways, I would assume they have a reason for it, and I would answer it twice.

I would point out, however, that the first question is asking for your activities going forward while the second one is asking FROM STARTING COLLEGE UNTIL NOW. They are clearly different time frames, so presumably would have different answers. The second question is not asking about part time work while in school. It is asking you to account for your time if you either weren't in school at all or weren't working full time for more than 3 months (in order to not include school breaks) between when you started school and when you submitted the application.

???? If they are asking the same question two different ways, I would assume they have a reason for it, and I would answer it twice.

I would point out, however, that the first question is asking for your activities going forward while the second one is asking FROM STARTING COLLEGE UNTIL NOW. They are clearly different time frames, so presumably would have different answers. The second question is not asking about part time work while in school. It is asking you to account for your time if you either weren't in school at all or weren't working full time for more than 3 months (in order to not include school breaks) between when you started school and when you submitted the application.
I understand. But I’m now working part time which is my only break for 3+ months from full time school or work. So technically my job now is the answer to both prompts

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand. But I’m now working part time which is my only break for 3+ months from full time school or work. So technically my job now is the answer to both prompts
When did you stop attending school at all (i.e., graduate or take a leave of absence)? If it's more than 3 months ago, they are asking about it. Otherwise they are not. I'm reading the question to be asking about school or full time work, not full time school or work.

It's not huge deal one way or the other, but I don't think they care about a part time job you had while in school that you will continue after your leave school, that is being picked up in future activities.

When did you stop attending school at all (i.e., graduate or take a leave of absence)? If it's more than 3 months ago, they are asking about it. Otherwise they are not. I'm reading the question to be asking about school or full time work, not full time school or work.

It's not huge deal one way or the other, but I don't think they care about a part time job you had while in school that you will continue after your leave school, that is being picked up in future activities.
I stopped school full time in January. I’m just not sure if I should report “yes” and repeat myself or emphasize that I already described it or if I should, like you said, realize they don’t care about this and say no

I stopped school full time in January. I’m just not sure if I should report “yes” and repeat myself or emphasize that I already described it or if I should, like you said, realize they don’t care about this and say no
Do you go to school at all now?

Nope. Working part time for my gap year
Then yes, you are neither in school nor working full time from January through now. You are working part time. That's how I would answer the prompt, even though you have stated elsewhere you will be working part time during your gap year, since your gap year started in January, not now.

Most people's gap year started in May, unless they have more than one, so they wouldn't necessarily be capturing what you did between January and now if they didn't ask this additional question. Rather than overthink it, I would just give them what they are asking for. Just my 2 cents!!!

Then yes, you are neither in school nor working full time from January through now. You are working part time. That's how I would answer the prompt, even though you have stated elsewhere you will be working part time during your gap year, since your gap year started in January, not now.

Most people's gap year started in May, unless they have more than one, so they wouldn't necessarily be capturing what you did between January and now if they didn't ask this additional question. Rather than overthink it, I would just give them what they are asking for. Just my 2 cents!!!
But my question is if I can reference my answer to their previous Q (asking what my plan is this upcoming year - which is continuing the same job I’ve been doing) of if I need to describe the same job twice

But my question is if I can reference my answer to their previous Q (asking what my plan is this upcoming year - which is continuing the same job I’ve been doing) of if I need to describe the same job twice
Why bother? To save yourself some cutting and pasting? They are asking again, the path of least resistance is to answer again.