repeating org chm I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mstoothlady2012

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys i need some advice here...I took Org I last fall and got a D because of the professor (i completely blame him)... i took org II in spring ...awesome professor (can't blame him) & got a C (had B overall but flunked the ACS final).

I am repeating Org I with another professor this semester...I am determined to get an A...also i am going to keep in contact with the professor because i am planning on getting LOR from her....should i tell her the whole story about org I & II? or should i just stay quiet & impress her by getting good grades? I don't want to lie neither do i want her to think that i am stupid!

i am an "A/B" student; its just that Org screwed me up completely.

I would really appreciate your advice. thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Most teachers do not like to hear you bash their Colleagues, so if you want to tell her about it, leave out the blame game. I am sure many students in that organo class got As and Bs so the teacher must have been doing something right. I understand some teachers suck but that is a test of yourself to work hard and learn on your own outside of class, I have been there.

I would leave out the whole story though, unless she asks for some some reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
you can still blame the teacher. some teachers arent even clear of what students are supposed to study for. what if those As and Bs had nothing to do in the week and studied organic chem 24/7....they will eventually end up memorizing EVERYTHING in that book and of course they will get As since they did cover everything including unessary information. what if mstoothe2012 is taking 20 credits? no way she can cover everything like the others. This is where professors have to be clear of what they are testing for them to study of not waste time. understand?

Most teachers do not like to hear you bash their Colleagues, so if you want to tell her about it, leave out the blame game. I am sure many students in that organo class got As and Bs so the teacher must have been doing something right. I understand some teachers suck but that is a test of yourself to work hard and learn on your own outside of class, I have been there.

you can still blame the teacher. some teachers arent even clear of what students are supposed to study for. what if those As and Bs had nothing to do in the week and studied organic chem 24/7....they will eventually end up memorizing EVERYTHING in that book and of course they will get As since they did cover everything including unessary information. what if mstoothe2012 is taking 20 credits? no way she can cover everything like the others. This is where professors have to be clear of what they are testing for them to study of not waste time. understand?

You are missing the whole point of an education! You should be learning everything you can, including the "unessary" stuff. You want to go to professional school??

Hi guys i need some advice here...I took Org I last fall and got a D because of the professor (i completely blame him)... i took org II in spring ...awesome professor (can't blame him) & got a C (had B overall but flunked the ACS final).

I am repeating Org I with another professor this semester...I am determined to get an A...also i am going to keep in contact with the professor because i am planning on getting LOR from her....should i tell her the whole story about org I & II? or should i just stay quiet & impress her by getting good grades? I don't want to lie neither do i want her to think that i am stupid!

There are a few things I learned from growing up and that is, when you earn a bad grade, its 99% the students fault… EVEN if the professor was the worst professor in the world, its still your fault because look at it this way, you had soooooo much time to prevent a D grade…. You have the first 4 to 5 weeks of the course to “feel” it out and see how its going to turn out to be, if the professor is as terrible as you claim, fine, drop out with a W….. Yes a W with a “bad” professor is much better than a D with a “blamed professor”.

If I was you, I woulda dropped out with a W and when the semester was over, I woulda asked the Chemistry department to write an email / letter telling you what the average GPA for the class was (of the professor you dropped)…. If the average GPA was around 1.5 or so, then yes, it was all the professors fault (and you’ll have actual proof of why you dropped out with a W), if it was in the 2.5 range, then it was totally your fault.

Im sorry if Im being a jackass, but your planning to become a dentist and you have to learn to take responsibilities for things that don’t go your way.

The D and the C are the whole story. The rest comes under the heading of presumptuousness.

you cannot learn everything when you take a class. it goes deeper and deeper and deeper. even with people in graduate school for chemistry. they havent even learned everything. even in dental school...you wont even have time to learn everything. they take like 30 credits/semester and the only way ull pass is to learn stuff that your supposed to learn...not unnessary information. and yes I WILL go to a professional school. lets see you learn everything while taking 6 classes and still get a 3.0 gpa.

You are missing the whole point of an education! You should be learning everything you can, including the "unessary" stuff. You want to go to professional school??

lol i heard 10% of the class passed.. (passing is A, B & C)...so rest of them got D & f...he was being warned that if doesnt pass the certain amount of students in spring then he will be suspended...thats how bad it was...i knew about 10 people in that class..out of which only 3 of us got D including me

lol i heard 10% of the class passed.. (passing is A, B & C)...so rest of them got D & f...he was being warned that if doesnt pass the certain amount of students in spring then he will be suspended...thats how bad it was...i knew about 10 people in that class..out of which only 3 of us got D including me

hardly people got A, B & C...student was lucky even if he/she gets a C...thats how bad he was...he wanted us to memorize all the chemist, year & what they discoered, their autobiography...how did they grow up & where they graduated...you got the point....he even wanted us to memorize those little articles that are provided in McMurry book after each chapter...IT WAS HORRIBLE

There are a few things I learned from growing up and that is, when you earn a bad grade, its 99% the students fault… EVEN if the professor was the worst professor in the world, its still your fault because look at it this way, you had soooooo much time to prevent a D grade…. You have the first 4 to 5 weeks of the course to “feel” it out and see how its going to turn out to be, if the professor is as terrible as you claim, fine, drop out with a W….. Yes a W with a “bad” professor is much better than a D with a “blamed professor”.

If I was you, I woulda dropped out with a W and when the semester was over, I woulda asked the Chemistry department to write an email / letter telling you what the average GPA for the class was (of the professor you dropped)…. If the average GPA was around 1.5 or so, then yes, it was all the professors fault (and you’ll have actual proof of why you dropped out with a W), if it was in the 2.5 range, then it was totally your fault.

Im sorry if Im being a jackass, but your planning to become a dentist and you have to learn to take responsibilities for things that don’t go your way.
No you are not being a jackass ...its a wonderful advice..... i never blame my professors. its just him that i blame. I also got C in org II but i do not blame my professor.

In org I we had just 1 test befoe the withdrawl deadline & i scored 54. that was my first F in test by th way. anyways i usually do bad in my first test but no that bad...like a C or something..& then i get to know the professor & his/her test style & i do better in the other test....i thought the same way for him so i did not withdraw & on the second test i got a low C...then i realized that there is no way i can pass this class because all it was left was the final & i was flunking all his quizzes ..because his quizzes were unannounced & they were on stupid stuff like year, chemist, their discovery, their biography ( i wrote all that in the thread before)

anyways i have never withdrawn a single course in my entire life...i just do not like to give up.. & iwould have withdrawn if i had a chance after the seocnd test...but it was too late by then...every1 suffered with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
you guys all went off topic...i asked for advice whether i should tell her or not! none of you answer my question...ofcourse i am not gonna tell her that i blame the professor...i was telling you guys my story...all i asked was should i tell her that i have already taken org I & II & my grades in those 2 classes....thanks anyways

you don't need to tell her, it's insignificant to her
finally...thank you! i just dont want to hide the truth...i feel bad about it...dont know wht i am going to do...wanted many opinions...but oh well!

finally...thank you! i just dont want to hide the truth...i feel bad about it...dont know wht i am going to do...wanted many opinions...but oh well!

your not hiding any truth bro, its irrelevant information to tell her... your going to take orgo I .... Period.

lol thts true..i am a girl..hehe thts ok Nasem thanks for your opinion:)

Honestly, what a previous member stated about how it is your fault is in a way, right. I took organic chemistry with a professor notorious in failing the majority of the class. I scored a C in orgo 1 and a D in org 2 with this man (i retook orgo2 with a B+) but I realized that I could have indeed worked harder with the notorious professor and scored A's. What you should do is just not tell her about your organic history and just make sure you score B+ or higher. Also, make sure you score well on your orgo part of your DATs.

Good luck!

Here is my professor (lol):

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=347749

man. both of these professors suck @$$,
Thats why I always try to stick with professors that are fair graders... I don't want easy professors and I don't want ****hole professors either, I like them fair.

I really believe in the 40/60 theory of learning...
40% of the material you learn should be from the professor and
60% should be self tought....

With those professors, it seems like a 10/90 deal and thats just ridiculous, you might as well self-learn orgo and take some standardized test that gives you 3 credit hrs of a semester.

man. both of these professors suck @$$,
Thats why I always try to stick with professors that are fair graders... I don't want easy professors and I don't want ****hole professors either, I like them fair.

I really believe in the 40/60 theory of learning...
40% of the material you learn should be from the professor and
60% should be self tought....

With those professors, it seems like a 10/90 deal and thats just ridiculous, you might as well self-learn orgo and take some standardized test that gives you 3 credit hrs of a semester.

Honestly, 95% of my physics 2 class I learned by reading the book and looking up online help, 5% came from the professor. I scored an A in physics 2 by teaching myself, oh wait, thats how almost EVERY class was/still is for me in college :(

compared to mine, yours seems pretty nice lol
lol...no way read what i posted before in this thread about my professor...remembering date?name of chemist?biography?....uhh!!!!

First: How did you get by taking Organic 2 when you got a D in Organic 1?

Let me give you some words of wisdom as someone that has "been there, done that". I got D's in 2 pre-reqs.... yes 2. Biology 1 and Organic 2. Were my professors good? Hell no. Did I ever blame my professors for my poor grades? Hell no. I retook each course and got A's in both; I even got the highest grade out of 250 students in Organic 2.

Lesson here: it is ALWAYS your fault. There is always something you could've done to pass..always. Study more, party less, seek help, etc. Blaming a poor grade on your professor is not going to fly when your in the interview hot seat. trust me. i was asked about my marks in ALL of my interviews, and i placed the blame on myself and turned the situation in a learning experience. Mistakes happen, it's your responsibility to learn from them and make sure they don't happen again. It's better that you made these mistakes now instead of in dental school.

Even with those D's factored in, i graduated with a 3.6 gpa, 3.5 sgpa. The icing on the cake: I got into dental school.

jb!:)

First: How did you get by taking Organic 2 when you got a D in Organic 1?

Let me give you some words of wisdom as someone that has "been there, done that". I got D's in 2 pre-reqs.... yes 2. Biology 1 and Organic 2. Were my professors good? Hell no. Did I ever blame my professors for my poor grades? Hell no. I retook each course and got A's in both; I even got the highest grade out of 250 students in Organic 2.

Lesson here: it is ALWAYS your fault. There is always something you could've done to pass..always. Study more, party less, seek help, etc. Blaming a poor grade on your professor is not going to fly when your in the interview hot seat. trust me. i was asked about my marks in ALL of my interviews, and i placed the blame on myself and turned the situation in a learning experience. Mistakes happen, it's your responsibility to learn from them and make sure they don't happen again. It's better that you made these mistakes now instead of in dental school.

Even with those D's factored in, i graduated with a 3.6 gpa, 3.5 sgpa. The icing on the cake: I got into dental school.

jb!:)
good for you...i am not going to tell admission committe that i blame the professor lol...but anyways yes they let me take Org 2 eventhough i had D in org 1...i am repeating org 1 right now and i am determined to get an A in that class for sure.

thanks for your advice:)

Orgo is just not easy. Even if you dont score an A which im sure you can, make sure on the DATs you ace the orgo section

"If you re-take a course, you better make damn sure you get an A the second time" -ADCOM to me at an interview last cycle.

I just thought I would post it. He was big on the idea that if you have taken the course before and seen all the material twice and still don't master it, it says something about you.......something that you don't want an adcom to hear about you.

Good luck going for that A. :thumbup:

My Ochem teacher

As you can see he is very difficult (what ochem class isn't?) but one of the nicest guys in the world...it makes all the difference.