Replacing Personal Statements Once Submitted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woeiru

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've found a few posts from 3-4 years back, but I know the letter system has changed, so I'd like to make sure this hasn't as well.

I just submitted my personal statement yesterday, but have something I'd like to tweak quickly. I understand that if a program has already downloaded your PS and things change they can tell that you uploaded a second one, but if a program has yet to download any of my materials, and I switch personal statements, will they have any way of knowing?

Members don't see this ad.

So I've found a few posts from 3-4 years back, but I know the letter system has changed, so I'd like to make sure this hasn't as well.

I just submitted my personal statement yesterday, but have something I'd like to tweak quickly. I understand that if a program has already downloaded your PS and things change they can tell that you uploaded a second one, but if a program has yet to download any of my materials, and I switch personal statements, will they have any way of knowing?

As far as I know, you can't change your application and PS once submitted. You can however "update" your Photo, USMLE transcripts, MSPE etc etc.
Scroll down on ADTS and click on the question mark on the side for more info about this.

You can update your PS any time you'd like. If you send a new one, it overwrites the old one. If I've printed your original, then I can compare both. If not, I can't tell. Regardless, you're making this into a much bigger deal than it is. Fix something in your PS if you'd like.

I sent a PS out to all of my programs yesterday when I applied, found an error today and fixed it, then resent. It seems like to fix it, you have to "add a new ps" in ERAS, then go and check it off for all of the programs.

So now on ADTS it looks like I've sent both personal statements to all of my programs even though I unchecked the first and checked off the second one before programs downloaded my app. aPD, youre saying the new one just automatically replaces the first one? How come programs that are downloading my app today seem to be downloading both of my personal statements? It looks like one program even downloaded my old one and not the new one after I submitted the new one today.... have you ever gotten 2+ versions of a PS and had to choose between them or does only 1 version show up for everyone (even though from our perspective it looks like 2 have been downloaded)?

I did the same thing. I don't think you should worry about it. Even if they did see both PS's, they will probably take the latest one. There are much more important things to worry about than this.

You cannot "take back" anything you've assigned to programs that is already in the post office. In this case (where you've assigned 2 PS's but neither has yet been downloaded), the program will download both PS's. However we only see one, and the new one will immediately replace the old one. So, nothing to worry about.