Replacing Stethoscope Tubing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegenius

Senior Wharf Rat
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully and easily replaced their tubing? My Littman Cardiology III tubing is cracked. All I read is how you just "pull" it off and "push" the new one on. Pulling it off is actually rather difficult and probably increases the luminal suction force, making it even more difficult to remove. It's kind of like pulling your finger out of a Chinese finger trap. The harder you pull, the more suction it produces.

Members don't see this ad.

I just had 3M in MN refurb it. That was about 12 years ago. They replace the tubing and ear pieces and diaphragm and the rubber ring on the other side, and polish up all the metal.

If they are now selling a do-it-yourself kit, that's news to me. Then again, there's always YouTube!

Yea I've been looking left and right on YouTube and other site. There is surprising little info on exchanging the tube.

I can easily cut it off, but it appears that it would be difficult to put a new one back on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish they still made Rappaport-Sprague stethophones. I could pick up murmurs everyone missed (and thereby impress the med student, not sure that saved any lives). PLUS they functioned as a really nice reflex hammer.

Just buy the replacement tubing on Amazon. It's like $20 and works fine. I've had my current one for about 10 years, and replace the tubing every 2-3 years when it gets too cracked.

so how do you pull off the old tubing? Just cut it off? I can't pull it off...at least part connected to the bell. And to put it on you just basically force on the new tubing?

I just had 3M in MN refurb it. That was about 12 years ago. They replace the tubing and ear pieces and diaphragm and the rubber ring on the other side, and polish up all the metal.

That's what I would do. Probably the only medical device/kit that I'm willing to drop serious money on is a good stethoscope, i think it's worth it. As long as the refurb doesn't cost the same as getting a new one, lol.

That's what I would do. Probably the only medical device/kit that I'm willing to drop serious money on is a good stethoscope, i think it's worth it. As long as the refurb doesn't cost the same as getting a new one, lol.
If I recall, it was about a buck and a half. Def less than new.

Reactions: 1 user
I did it and the old tubing pulls off with some effort. The tubing I got had a larger diameter than the old. It was too big for the headset.

You can get a new Littman IV on amazon for $160. They're great, just don't use hand sanitizer on them or the diaphragm will keep falling off. That said they will ship you new ones for free

Got to hear those hearts and lungs, even an occasional carotid.

just grow a pair and cut it off!