Report date for residency/internship??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeybaronjr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those who have recently matched and graduated (congratulations!), when is your report date for orientation? What is your "first day" of internship??

The reason I ask is I'm trying to figure when my potential report date would be assuming I match military in 2008. My fiancee and I are attempting to do some preliminary honeymoon planning between graduation and orientation and I'm just trying to figure out how much time we have to play with. Looking at a calendar of June 2008, I'm guessing the my report date will most likely be 09 June with the first day of internship on 30 June or 01 July. Does this sound about right or will it be the week after?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Members don't see this ad.

This is for AF:

I have to report to base on 4 June (i.e. 1st Monday in June) for 2 weeks of orientation. On 18 June, orientation starts for the civilian institution I attend almost full time, and the week after that internship officially starts.

It's a tight squeeze, however, since I graduated last weekend, and it takes up to 2 weeks for your stuff to be shipped to your new location. The movers can put your stuff in storage if it arrives earlier. You also have to be ready to drive cross country; who knows if you'll be in California or Maryland. They can ship a vehicle, but I'm assuming you'd want to drive one yourself.

You can try to fit a nice honeymoon within those two weeks. But if your school is like mine, you can be done with all your grad requirements quite early and have 1-2 months off prior to graduation. As I'm undergoing this hectic move process now, I'd recommend the later.

For the Army, report date is installation dependent. The earliest I'm aware of is June 1 (TAMC), with the latest being more around June 15.

As someone who was in a similar situation (getting married, graduating, starting internship all right together), be very careful about deposits, etc. You don't want to pay a bunch of money for a honeymoon that will be interrupted by your report date. And vice versa, you don't want a rank order list (and therefore report date) to be affected by your honeymoon.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the start date for Navy general surgery internship (i.e. at San Diego)? I had thought that it was later in the summer....

Thanks for letting me know.

What is the start date for Navy general surgery internship (i.e. at San Diego)? I had thought that it was later in the summer....

Thanks for letting me know.

Can't say specifically but all Navy internships start 1JUL, so the question is how long you have to be there for indoc prior to that.

thank you very much for the information. we are planning a vacation and will return on June 2...so that should give us plenty of time to relocate for the internships orientation.

Thanks.

Actually, that could still be a problem. I'm at Bethesda, and report date is 7 JUN.

Be smart, call the GME office yourself and confirm the date.

Yeah, that's the best thing.

I was given a couple of different report dates in the past month. The reality is, I have to report on 4 June (first Monday in June). I basically show up, sign something, then leave. Orientation (and when business really begins) is 6 June. This is per the residency program assistant, who is still unsure about what's going on.

Unfortunately, the GME office won't be able to give you a surefire date until next year; everything will be very tentative. I know someone in the Army who heads to Walter Reed on 15 June, but with the Army/Navy merger and closing of WRAMC, who knows for next year?

Your school has a better, more firm schedule. I'd schedule an off period or a half-rotation (I did EKG reviews) and do the honeymoon. It'll save you and your fiancee much worry.