reporting a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

techniques

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I go about reporting a doctor with shady prescribing practices: holy trinity plus adderall 30 mg TID, patients on two/three benzos, never objecting to early fills of controls when called. He got his license suspended in 2013 for reckless prescribing of controls but was reinstated a year later. Can I just refuse all of his prescriptions or do I have to call corporate (I work for CVS). He either needs to be investigated or on the "do not fill" list that comes up when entering prescriber information. Anyone know how to go about doing this? A patient came in with three prescriptions written by him for dilaudid, soma, and xanax and told me to call the doctor when told that combo wasn't appropriate. I told her she'd never get that filled here regardless of what the doctor said.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
How do I go about reporting a doctor with shady prescribing practices: holy trinity plus adderall 30 mg TID, patients on two/three benzos, never objecting to early fills of controls when called. He got his license suspended in 2013 for reckless prescribing of controls but was reinstated a year later. Can I just refuse all of his prescriptions or do I have to call corporate (I work for CVS). He either needs to be investigated or on the "do not fill" list that comes up when entering prescriber information. Anyone know how to go about doing this? A patient came in with three prescriptions written by him for dilaudid, soma, and xanax and told me to call the doctor when told that combo wasn't appropriate. I told her she'd never get that filled here regardless of what the doctor said.

Pretty easy with these types of doctors. TEll the patient you are uncomfortable filling controlled prescriptions from this doctor. And it is completely fine to have a do not fill list of doctors in your area who you think have shady prescribing practices. I have a list of 15 doctors or so that my store will not fill. You don't even have to call and verify.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
What if the doctor also prescribes non-controls?

A short course of ibuprofen or amoxicillin? Sure. Anything more substantial, probably not. If they are careless enough to prescribe what the OP wrote, I doubt they are properly monitoring patient's drug therapy, controlled or not.

Reactions: 1 user
Report them to your state board and also to the local DEA branch if they're doing the same combo for everybody.

If it's no big deal and it's just a coincidence that all of the problem patients go to you, then nothing happens.

If they do find a problem, you've just protected the public.

Reactions: 2 users
I thought when you search someone's Istop at the bottom of the page there was a link to report suspicious activity. I've done it before but not sure if anything ever happens. I know in the past my sup gave me an email of someone in corporate that deals with this. I reported a doctor in the past and they got back to me that it was my judgement call. I can't recall the email.

I reported a doctor in the past and they got back to me that it was my judgement call. I can't recall the email.

I've gotten the same thing from Corp at least twice. It's a store level issue. Not even sure why the dept is there if they are not going to investigate (with they data mining abilities) when I ask for help. Imo, it's reactive rather than proactive

I have left messaged at my local DEA office. In one case the doctor was arrested albeit like 3 years after my call. Maybe it helped