Reporting to ODS in two weeks...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ar9mp

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that there is an ODS sticky, and if mods see fit to move this there then so be it, but I have a few questions about preparing for ODS (besides physical training) that have not been answered on that thread or on the official ODS website...

1. How much civilian clothing should I bring? Will we get to go out in Newport at all in civilian clothing? Should I just bring enough to get me through the first day I'm there and the day that I leave? Should I bring dressier clothing? Also, what should I show up on base in? I'd rather not get yelled at for arriving in a t-shirt and shorts.

2. I understand the convenience of having a flash-drive there, but is bringing a laptop that much of an advantage? Is there an internet connection in the dorm?

3. I heard that the network on base blocks popular email sites such as gmail. Is there a website that is not blocked on base that I can have my gmail account forwarded to?

4. Would anybody recommend memorizing anything other than the Code of Conduct, Sailor's Creed, and General Orders before arrival?

5. Are there any other miscellanious items that I should bring or things that I should do beforehand that others who have gone through ODS brought/did or wish they had to make their time there more enjoyable?

I'd really appreciate any insight anyone on SDN can provide about these five weeks; I have little idea about what to expect for ODS, and all things being equal, I'd like for it to pass as smoothly and quickly as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

yes, you will get to go out in Newport but only the last two weekends. We only got to wear civvies on the last weekend which we had overnight privileges on so bring one or two sets of civilians clothes. BTW, weekend privileges can be revoked at anytime so dont count on this. You can show up on the first Sunday wearing anything you want - the yelling doesnt start until Monday!!

Bring your laptop so you can watch movies, listen to music and work on your homework in your room if you want. No internet connection though. Most e-mail accounts are blocked although some school accounts were available. There is an internet cafe on base which you will have access to after the second week.

Definitely, memorize officer and enlisted ranks not only for the Navy but also for the Marine Corps, Army and Air Force. You will be questioned on these during uniform and room inspections. Also, learn Anchor's Aweigh.

Bring multiple copies of all paperwork that you have including orders, medical and dental records, your oath of office and Page 2.

Stock up on laundry detergent and cleaning supplies like swiffers and pledge wipes at the NEX on the Sunday that you arrive.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS Keep everything locked up in your closet/armoire and make sure it is locked at all times. If it is EVER found unlocked your stuff will be thrown everywhere up and down the hall and this will happen to several people during the five weeks.

Try to befriend any prior enlisted that are in your company because they can be lifesavers helping you to get your uniforms in order and how to make your rack!

BE PREPARED to get very little sleep especially the first two weeks - we usually got up at 4AM.

The better shape you are in the easier it will be. Also just remember it is only five weeks. The first two weeks will be rough if you have no military experience but you will make it through and you will make some great friends and some connections for the future!

What about the haircut requirement -- will my local barber's version of a "military haircut" be good enough, or will I need to make sure it fits the specs online?

What about the haircut requirement -- will my local barber's version of a "military haircut" be good enough, or will I need to make sure it fits the specs online?
Don't worry about a haircut, they'll probably shave it all off when you arrive. That's what happened when I first joined... granted it was the Marine Corps Boot Camp but you get the picture.

Seriously don't worry about the hair do. They'll get you in shape pretty fast