Reputable Neurology Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bgarrido

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a high junior and I'm wondering what the good medical schools are in the field of neurology, I've seen a lot of lists compiled on the internet but I'm not really sure of the criteria they use. Does anyone have any idea of what schools are known for neurological studies at that level?

Members don't see this ad.

Just relax and enjoy yourself right now. When you get into undergrad focus on getting into med school. You'll be fine at pretty much any medical school if you want to go into Neuro. Just take it 1 step at a time.

I would just make sure to go to a school that has
1) a neurology residency training program at whatever institution the school is associated with
2) (this is more optional than 1) a required neurology rotation in your MS3 year

I went to a med school that had both and getting into a neurology residency is pretty painless. I have read stories from being on this board for a few years of students without MS3 required neurology rotations having trouble arranging a 4th year schedule as they have to make sure their neurology rotation is in the first few months to get letters and check out the specialty etc. For me I already had done a rotation by the time 4th year started, then I could do a 1 month pseudo-sub-i at the beginning of 4th year and have some great letters by the time my apps were going out

I have also heard of some schools that don't have a neurology residency program associated not even having electives to take and then they all have to be arranged as aways, which I always thought seemed like a big PitA once you figure in getting alternate housing etc

I have read stories from being on this board for a few years of students without MS3 required neurology rotations having trouble arranging a 4th year schedule as they have to make sure their neurology rotation is in the first few months to get letters and check out the specialty etc. For me I already had done a rotation by the time 4th year started, then I could do a 1 month pseudo-sub-i at the beginning of 4th year and have some great letters by the time my apps were going out

I have also heard of some schools that don't have a neurology residency program associated not even having electives to take and then they all have to be arranged as aways, which I always thought seemed like a big PitA once you figure in getting alternate housing etc

Yep all that is happening to me as we speak, haha. Unfortunately I had no idea I would enjoy neuro until summer after M1 year....the upside is that it is doable for sure, just more work as said above. Nothing a little extra elbow grease, self teaching with numerous books/journal articles, and hunting down all "neuro-esque" cases in all your other M3 rotations can't help. Basically dont worry about it, there's a betting chance you wont even stick with neuro as your chosen specialty until you get more experience and learn more about what fits you.