reputation vs. networking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeShanahan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I'm working on my rank list, I was hoping to get peoples' opinion on what carries more weight: 1) getting the job/fellowship of your choice because you trained at one of the "big reputation" programs vs 2) training locally near the job/fellowship of your choice and having time to make contacts/network with the people there.

For instance say I really want to end up in N. California for job/fellowship. Would I be in a more advantageous position coming from a place like RIC or Kessler (and I don't mind living in these places for a few years - I'm not a Californian and thus am able to withstand tempertures below 60 degrees :) or would I be better off at a UC Davis or Stanford where I can easily network?

I don't think there's a right answer, just wanted to know how most people think.

Members don't see this ad.

As I'm working on my rank list, I was hoping to get peoples' opinion on what carries more weight: 1) getting the job/fellowship of your choice because you trained at one of the "big reputation" programs vs 2) training locally near the job/fellowship of your choice and having time to make contacts/network with the people there.

For instance say I really want to end up in N. California for job/fellowship. Would I be in a more advantageous position coming from a place like RIC or Kessler (and I don't mind living in these places for a few years - I'm not a Californian and thus am able to withstand tempertures below 60 degrees :) or would I be better off at a UC Davis or Stanford where I can easily network?

I don't think there's a right answer, just wanted to know how most people think.

Either I think. UC Davis has attendings who have GME backgrounds from U Dub, RIC, Pitt, and UMDNJ/New Jersey Med for example, none of which are particularly near the Russian River.

My impression is that certain markets tend to be inbred in hiring their own. For example, California private practices as a rule (based on rumor, not personal experience) tend to prefer people who trained in California.

Generally, though, coming from a big name place is helpful.

It is especially helpful if you want to work in a market where there is a big name institution. For example, trying to crack into the Chicago market is much easier coming from RIC than coming for a less prestigious program from another market.

Members don't see this ad :)

That's funny because in clinic today we were talking to someone going to southern Cali after graduation and she and the attending were naming at least 6-7 RIC grads who are now in north cali - both in private practice, academic, and Kaiser Permanente. I think you can go either option - but if you happen to change your mind or have family situations that necessitate moving later in your career, the program with the larger alum network may be of advantage since you'll have contacts pretty much anywhere in the country.

"I think you can go either option - but if you happen to change your mind or have family situations that necessitate moving later in your career, the program with the larger alum network may be of advantage since you'll have contacts pretty much anywhere in the country."

I think that may be true in general. However, if there is a specific area that you are targeting, it certainly can help to do residency in the area.

I think this was discussed in bits and pieces before, so let's put it in chart form

PM&R Academics--------Residency rep matters
PM&R Private Practice--------Residency rep matters, fellowship and acquired
skills probably matter more

Multispecialty group(Anesthesia, Ortho, Neurosurg)--------Overall institutional rep matters, fellowship
matters and your skills matter

I'm in NoCal now and can say that there is no shortage of jobs out here. Wherever you do residency, you will form connections/contacts in that geographic area. That's just the way it is. On the flip side, I've both received patients and referred patients to other Physiatrists in this area. There are plenty of Physiatrists here from many different regions of the country and different "tiers" of residency programs. There are alot of groups looking for Physiatrists so long as you have the right skill set. If you have those skills, are a nice guy/gal, and can demonstrate efficiency/productivity (read volume) over a 2-3 year period, you just might get offered partnership.