Request for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingdog53

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed quite a few vets lately... I am another. Here's a little background-

2001- Bachelor's in Business (Peru State College, NE)
2010- Master's in Business Admin (University of Phoenix)
Summer 2012- started back to school for med school prereqs
Biology 1 and 2, Chem 1 and 2
Fall 2012- Eng 1 (had CLEP'd it for undergrad), Phys 1, Calc 1, OChem 1
Spring 2013- Phys 2, Calc 2, OChem 2. Will finish in the next month.

So far, I have a 4.0 in prereq classes... but like many of us non-trads, my GPA from years ago haunts me. My overall undergrad GPA is 3.07, my grad school GPA is 3.49. I took the MCAT Jan 2013 and made a 26... Obviously OChem2 and Phys2 would help. I have a large amount of volunteer hours, but none of them are medically related (no shadowing hours).

As I sat and pondered my study schedule for the summer, I realized that it would take just shy of 2 years to complete a Biology degree. So- advice...- should I study hard throughout May and retake the MCAT again, work a shadowing job, and hope for a spot in 2014, or should I go to school through the summer and set up to finish a biology degree while applying for 2015.

Any advice is appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

I have noticed quite a few vets lately... I am another. Here's a little background-

So far, I have a 4.0 in prereq classes... but like many of us non-trads, my GPA from years ago haunts me. My overall undergrad GPA is 3.07, my grad school GPA is 3.49. I took the MCAT Jan 2013 and made a 26... Obviously OChem2 and Phys2 would help. I have a large amount of volunteer hours, but none of them are medically related (no shadowing hours).

As I sat and pondered my study schedule for the summer, I realized that it would take just shy of 2 years to complete a Biology degree. So- advice...- should I study hard throughout May and retake the MCAT again, work a shadowing job, and hope for a spot in 2014, or should I go to school through the summer and set up to finish a biology degree while applying for 2015.

First, thank you for your service to our country. There are many topics to comment on that I'm sure others on here will address, but the first one that comes to mind is the changing MCAT and possibly pre-reqs as well (topics like psych and sociology). If you haven't looked into this, I think it might play a substantial role in your decision. I joke with people that I never could've gone back to be a non-trad matriculant w/ the changes on the horizon. Great work on your courses so far, and good luck.

Thanks for the feedback. I definitely understand your comment about the changing requirements. If I was to go about pursuing a biology degree, it would include both psych and sociology. I haven't taken either, but it shouldn't be harder than OChem lol.

Keep the responses coming! :thumbup:

What's your cumulative GPA (cGPA)? AdComs look first at the total, and then the most recent (so your gGPA helps you a lot.) Your MCAT is sub-standard for MD schools, but Ok for DO programs. If you're open to the latter, then there will be no need for a re-take.