Request for comments; Have I made up for my undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ouch, that 2.5 is going to really hurt you in allopathic medical schools even with your MCAT score and your post-bacc. You should definitely include some osteopathic medical schools on your list as they substitute grades as opposed to averaging them. Make sure that you have not applied to any schools that have an automatic undergraduate GPA cutoff because you would be wasting your money.

You are going to find out for yourself in a bit, how well your post bacc work has overcome your undergraduate GPA. Good luck.

Wouldn't his post-bac classes be factored into the undergrad. gpa? They are, after all, undergraduate classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like you have done all you could to get that GPA up. I am going to take the same steps. That's all we can do. I think it's up to the ADCOMs now. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you. Good Luck!

Mimi

You did what you could, but, like NJBMD said, you're going to have a hard time getting past that GPA, especially with TX schools (TX schools' matriculating classes generally have high GPAs and low MCAT scores.) Plus, you took the August MCAT and applied late which is really bad for TX schools (The first thing that the HPO at UT told me was APPLY EARLY.) Hopefully, I'm wrong, and you'll do OK, so best of luck to you! What is your current overall GPA? You can see where you stand by looking at the statistics on the TMDSAS web page.

I think you have a great chance of getting in somewhere. Your post-bac grades will be computed into your overall gpa on your AMCAS and besides it shows how you have matured since undergrad and you dedicated yourself to getting good grades. Isn't that what post-bac programs are designed for, to show you have the intellect and ability to do well in pre-med science courses, that is why there are several schools who have associated post-bac programs that allow you to enter their medical progam after doing well. Your MCAT is great and you show both leadership abilities, and have volunteer history so I think you have just a good a shot as any other person. And for those who commented on the possiblity of your getting into a TX schools well good thing you applied to more than TX schools.. besides they have no idea if you are going to get in or not...I consider speculation as bullsh*t participation....Good luck and I am particulary hoping you get into a TX school:laugh: :luck:

And for those who commented on the possiblity of your getting into a TX schools well good thing you applied to more than TX schools.. besides they have no idea if you are going to get in or not...I consider speculation as bullsh*t participation....Good luck and I am particulary hoping you get into a TX school:laugh: :luck:

Seriously, what's with the attitude? I'm just calling it as I see it. The OP asked for honest advice, and that's what I gave. While no one knows for sure how any SINGLE applicant will fare in the whole process, there ARE trends, and I just commented on two obvious specific trends in TX schools' admissions that were relevant to the OP.

Unlike most other schools/states, TX, through TMDSAS makes application statistics public, so the OP can go the the "Application Statistics" page on the TMDSAS website and see for him/herself.

I really think someone will take you. There is nothing else you can do to prove yourself. I'd look for people with sub 3.0 GPA's on mdapplicants, and see where they got secondaries and didn't get pre-screened... apply to those schools. If you don't get in this year, it was because of the late application, and I'd continue on the path you're on and get your application in early next year and you should get in... obviously you have some extra money to spend since you are taking all these post-bacc classes so invest in those applications.

Albany Med College liked another famous low-GPAer on SDN, so I'd suggest that at the very least :thumbup:

edit: I see you already did :)
I'd drop Rush, since they take very little OOS... add Jefferson maybe.
I'd reconsider some of the state schools that take less than 20% out of state. But it seems like you already did your homework

You can't really make up for a GPA because AMCAS will always calculate your undergraduate degree from your first bachelors, but you can raise your science GPA which is more important anyway. After looking at your profile I would advise you to continue taking as may classes as you can and if it's an option go ahead and finish your second degree. Though I think you have shot this year, if you have to reapply start getting ready to do it in June and have all of your secondary applications finished within a week. I hae a resume that is very similar to yours (GPA much<3.0, high MCATs, lots of other "I'm a good candidate" stuff) and I've been accepted for this year. It was not an easy process and has taken me three years of pretty solid work, but in the end I got in somewhere that I really wanted to go. Just because you don't get accepted right away doesn't mean that you won't. Keep doing what you're doing, have faith, and it will happen.

Man...I kind of see you as dictating what is possible for the low gpa--2 separate carreer student without the $100,000 SMP payout. Your the applicant to watch for me. I have no idea what's in store for you but I'm your starting armchair quaterback for real. good luck!:oops: :thumbup:

that is why there are several schools who have associated post-bac programs that allow you to enter their medical progam after doing well.

Where do you find information on these programs and the schools that offer them? Thanks.

Check out SDN profiles g293 and read his threads....he had a 2.7 and got in.