Request for information on PGY1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mailstapedius

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

For a PGY1 position do we have to apply only to a transitional or can we do a preliminary position too .
And in the personla statement for the PGY1 what should I include..

Plz advice,
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You can do a TY, a surgery prelim or a medicine prelim. I woud do either a TY or a med prelim year as they will be more pertinent to your future training. In your personal statement you should address the fact that you are seeking a program that will enable you to be the most well rounded physician possible before moving on to your chosen specialty, or to earn "the mantle of physicianhood" as my TY program director put it.

mailstapedius said:
Hi.

For a PGY1 position do we have to apply only to a transitional or can we do a preliminary position too .
And in the personla statement for the PGY1 what should I include..

Plz advice,
Thanks.

I agree that pre-lim, or trans. is a good way to go. Esp. for inpt. rehab as a resident you are basically the hospitalist and should know medicine well. That being said, I chose a pre-lim with abundant electives (if you count 4 as abundant) so I could tailor it a bit to rehab (some neuro, urology, etc). Since many of us are leaning outpt., it may be temping to find the most cush program you can. I tried to compromise in the middle and go to a strong program where I'd work hard but not be abused. Ask housestaff when you interview what their pt. load is, work hours, etc. so you klnow what your're getting into.

Hi,
Thanks to both of you for taking out your time to reply.
I have also applied for categorical IM so can i stilll apply prelim IM at the same hospitals?

Thank you