Request Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Falco2525

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I have a question...if you are going to be traveling to an area where u applied is it a bad idea to request to have an interview while u are there even if you have not been invited for one yet? Also what if you havent even completed their secondary? Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools are OK with it, but I wouldn't do that unless my entire file were complete and they just haven't gotten around to inviting/rejecting me yet. So send in your secondary first and then politely say that you will be in the area on whatever dates and were wondering if they would be able to review your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anastasis said:
I wouldn't do that. I just think it comes across as arrogant. What school are you talking about?

I will be going to Minnesota early october...University of Minnesota-Twin Cities...I would wait until my file is complete to ask...it would just suck to have to spend extra money to get there again (and the plane flight from Texas is a long one)

Falco2525 said:
Okay so I have a question...if you are going to be traveling to an area where u applied is it a bad idea to request to have an interview while u are there even if you have not been invited for one yet? Also what if you havent even completed their secondary? Thanks guys

the secondary should be in... i called last year to see if i could schedule one with a school in a simmilar area. if they are going to offer you one they say yes... if not, as what happened to me, they said no, your application is still under review.

Falco2525 said:
I will be going to Minnesota early october...University of Minnesota-Twin Cities...I would wait until my file is complete to ask...it would just suck to have to spend extra money to get there again (and the plane flight from Texas is a long one)
Understandable - have they started handing out invites yet? If you decide to do it, I'd wait til you see the interviews listed on the wall of fame thread. (maybe they already are, I don't know)

Anastasis said:
Understandable - have they started handing out invites yet? If you decide to do it, I'd wait til you see the interviews listed on the wall of fame thread. (maybe they already are, I don't know)

Not yet I dont think... I appreciate your feedback guys its very helpful.

I think that it is acceptable to contact the school to see whether or not such a scheduling would be an option. Provided you word it well so as not to sound presumptuous. For instance: blah blah blah (introductory remarks) ... "Should I be selected to interview at your school, would it be possible to schedule it during (time frame), since I will already be in the area during that time."

UM-TC is notorious for being slow as well, so hurry and get your friggin secondary done.

why not call up the school and ask?

just explain your situation...see if you can do it before giving your name...see how they react

if they dont know who you are it wont matter how you come across!

taylormade44 said:

just explain your situation...see if you can do it before giving your name...see how they react

Great idea...liking it...great input people

taylormade44 said:

Caller ID has pretty much taken anonymity away from phone calls, so keep that in mind before saying anything you might later regret.

I absolutely would contact the school if you will be in the area, but make sure to word it correctly and don't push them if they say no. There is no reason to pay twice for airfare and hotel, just on the off chance that it slightly annoys them. Just say "I am going to be in the area for another interview on [DATE]. I was curious if I would be able to interview at your school as well, if you are planning to extend me an interview."

taylormade44 said:

and if they ask for your name.. hang up real quick!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: