Requesting time off for a permanent position for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ms2625

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice on how to ask my employer for time off for interviews? One of the issues is that it is permanent, full time, so I can't switch shifts. In interviews I didn't really reveal that medical school was in my plan, so they aren't aware of that. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you not have sick/personal/vacation days you can take?

Sick days, personal days, if you have any flex time so you can make it up on the weekends, that would be good. How many interviews are you anticipating? Try to schedule them on Monday mornings so you fly out on the weekend, and fly back Monday night.

Edit to say that even if they assign you a time, you can ask if you can switch it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same position in that I also didn't mention medical school as my goal. I just asked my supervisor for a Tuesday and Friday off for my two interviews so far and he approved. We're just cool like that I guess since I didn't have to tell them why.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you have any scheduling flexibility at all? If you must literally be present at your place of employment M-F from 9-5, then you will need to arrange your interviews on days off, as others have mentioned. You can use a combination of vacation time (take a week off and knock out 3-4 interviews in a row) and personal/sick leave as needed. Another possibility is to take unpaid time off if offered by your employer. Be sure to read your HR handbook and be informed regarding their policies for paid and/or unpaid time off.