Required courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CareerChange

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have Bsc in EE back in 1999 and Msc in CompSci in 2002. I have taken Chem1 and 2 and Physics 1&2 back in 1995/1996 during my undergraduate year. Do I need to re-take these course? Do I need to retake those courses?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Only if you did poorly in them. If you're worried about not remembering much going into organic chemistry, then don't be. The first two chapters in organic are a review and cover all the gen chem you need to know.

Adcoms want to see some recent academic aptitude in the sciences, so instead of wasting time spent on repeating courses, take some upper-level sciences, like biochemistry or genetics.

Also, you might want to take an MCAT prep course to refresh your memory on some basic concepts of gen chem and physics before you take the test.

Thanks for your response.
I have GPA 3.7 overall, not sure what those pre-req courses' grade are.
Anyway, so... you mean... I do not need to re-take those courses for credit purposes, correct?
Thanks again.

That's right. They can be ancient, so long as they're done. Physics and general chemistry don't change. Now if it was a bio class you took ten years ago, they might require you to re-take it because so much has changed.

So you're golden with that gpa. Keep up the good work in the other core prereqs (like gen bio and organic chemistry), and you'll be in great shape!

Good luck! :)