Required Versus Recommended Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AishaMousgoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gah! Can I get some help here? I posted this question in the regular premed forum, but didn't get much help there. So I'm counting on you guys :)

I'm currently working full time as a Patient Care Tech at a hospital, and my work schedule prevents me from taking any classes except online classes. (Fortunately, I will be leaving my job in 3 months so I can go back to real school)
So, the only classes I can take this quarter are as follows:

Developmental Psych
Abnormal Psych

Pretty short list :(

I know these classes are not required, but either one or the other is recommended at least at the schools I'm interested in applying to (UC Irvine is probably my best bet, but I will apply to other UCs as well... except UC Davis because they don't accept online classes, period.)
My question is, is it worth my time and effort to take these foofy fluffy classes, being that they are online AS WELL as at a community college?

I really appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Gah! Can I get some help here? I posted this question in the regular premed forum, but didn't get much help there. So I'm counting on you guys :)

I'm currently working full time as a Patient Care Tech at a hospital, and my work schedule prevents me from taking any classes except online classes. (Fortunately, I will be leaving my job in 3 months so I can go back to real school)
So, the only classes I can take this quarter are as follows:

Developmental Psych
Abnormal Psych

Pretty short list :(

I know these classes are not required, but either one or the other is recommended at least at the schools I'm interested in applying to (UC Irvine is probably my best bet, but I will apply to other UCs as well... except UC Davis because they don't accept online classes, period.)
My question is, is it worth my time and effort to take these foofy fluffy classes, being that they are online AS WELL as at a community college?

I really appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!

I really wonder how med schools feel about online classes...especially through a CC...

They can't hurt you unless you make anything less than an A...I doubt if they will help you either...

I really wonder how med schools feel about online classes...especially through a CC...

For online classes, I think it depends on each individual school you want to apply to. I will be taking an online Calculus class from an accredited University so i emailed the admission offices of various Med schools that I want to apply to and asked them if the class would be acceptable as a prerequisite. I also included the class syllabus (which I requested from the Professor) so they knew exactly what the class entailed...all of them responded yes, even Harvard.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)