Requirements for ECFMG , Diploma Title

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maliohammad

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! :)
So I am currently studying med school abroad, my home country awards MB, ChB diploma while the country I am studying in right now awards Doctor of Medicine diploma.
So our government said because your local diploma is a lower degree it would be the max that we can get abroad. Our university is giving us the option to finish medschool faster (5 years in stead of the 7 years) and awards us the same diploma as our home country, MB, ChB.
Only problem is I checked ECGMG requirements and they state you must obtain a diploma matching what in their website for each country, so I must continue my study to get Doctor of medicine? Please note this is not the undergraduate MD, it is Professional Doctorate in Medicine.
If I get licensed in my home country will they let me become certified without getting the usual diploma from the university? Or is my only option to finish it to the end?
The MD diploma requires me to do residency in the country I am studying in, which is something I am not too keen on doing (they pay you less than someone flipping burgers, so not even enough to pay for the transportation to the hospital).
Would it make a difference if I did my residency in my home country then did the thesis later with my university to somehow obtain MD?
Any insight would be great as I am kind of lost now, and I am not sure what else to search for to get what I am looking for.
(I am still in med school, 3rd year.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: