Requirements for MD PhD programs

Started by asw98
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

asw98

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I am a sophomore interested in MD/PhD. I was looking at several programs and there seems to be a bit of variation in the general requirements in coursework as an undergraduate. I think my PhD will either be in cellular biology or cancer biology. Here is a list of required/recommended courses I have found so far.

Humanities:
Psychology
Ethics
English/Literature
Sociology
Foreign Language

Advanced Science Courses (all of the intro science requirements were the same)
Cell Biology
Immunology
Microbiology
Embryology
Anatomy
Mammalian Physiology

If you have any comments/corrections/recommendations, I would really appreciate it.
 
I already took Calc and Stats. Next year, I will be taking physics. Thanks for the website, it was very helpful.
 
Some (like Wash U) will require two stats courses (~6 credits). Some derivative of biochem is also helpful in many cases.