requirements for neuro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

btlwhulka

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a MSI and I know I am very green, but, at this point I am interested in neuro. Could any of you give advice on what steps I should take? What would you like to have known when you were a first year and thinking about going into neuro? What GPA, etc requirements are general for getting into a program?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

btlwhulka said:
I am a MSI and I know I am very green, but, at this point I am interested in neuro. Could any of you give advice on what steps I should take? What would you like to have known when you were a first year and thinking about going into neuro? What GPA, etc requirements are general for getting into a program?
Thanks.

Congrats. Neurology is a great field.

Does your school have a Student Interest Group in Neurology (SIGN) chapter? It is a student program of the American Academy of Neurology. If yes, join it and be active. If no, consider starting a chapter. The AAN will give you a lot of help, and they kick in cash too.

In terms of GPA, don't worry. If you score the mean on the USMLE, and get reasonable grades, you are a lock for a neurology spot somewhere. In terms of competitiveness, neuro is middle of the road, or even on the easy side. As in any specialty, the top programs are very hard to get into.