Requirements for PGY1 Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faebinder

Slow Wave Smurf
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked over the past posts (Neurology section is damn quiet). So the question is:

Would 1 year of family practice qualify for PGY1 Neurology?

Would 1 year of prelim surgery qualify for PGY1 Neurology? (The obvious answer is no I think but I had to ask.)

Members don't see this ad.

The answer is almost certainly no because they cannot fulfill the requirements. Neither will give you 6 months of internal medicine.

You're right about surgery, but one year of family practice CAN count as a PGY-1 year for neuro if it includes six months of internal med/ICU. My family med program gave me three of medicine and two of ICU, and I negotiated with them to give me an extra month of ICU, which (along with the other components of my family med year, i.e. EM, Peds) brought me in line with the ABPN's requirements. Talk to your program director once you're accepted, if you decide to pursue that route... but keep in mind - if they know you're going to leave before they sign you, they are unlikely to take you on. It's an option to consider if you find yourself in the scramble, because they would be more likely to sign you if they have a vacancy.

ariwax

Members don't see this ad :)
ariwax said:
You're right about surgery, but one year of family practice CAN count as a PGY-1 year for neuro if it includes six months of internal med/ICU. My family med program gave me three of medicine and two of ICU, and I negotiated with them to give me an extra month of ICU, which (along with the other components of my family med year, i.e. EM, Peds) brought me in line with the ABPN's requirements. Talk to your program director once you're accepted, if you decide to pursue that route... but keep in mind - if they know you're going to leave before they sign you, they are unlikely to take you on. It's an option to consider if you find yourself in the scramble, because they would be more likely to sign you if they have a vacancy.

ariwax

Thanx for the advise... very valuble.

Keep in mind that the six months of required internal medicine does not have to be all wards. I did Rheumatology, infectious disease, and outpatient internal medicine in my internship year and these counted.

I think that it is very possible to have an FP year count as long as you plan it right. If not, you might miss it my a month or two.

Surgery, well that is just damn unlikely. Unless you do orthopedic internship, you will not do any medicine wards other than perhaps ICU and CCU.