Requirements For Pharmacy Acceptance

Started by unit18
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

unit18

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone, I live in BC Canada. I am in gr.12 and plan to attend UBC Pharmacy after first year in university.

I was just wondering exactly what it would take to get into pharmacy school. I have excellent highschool grades and first year doesnt scare me. It is the volunteering/experience part that im a little worried about. Do schools weight volunteer work heavier than grades and PCAT score?

I was looking into a shadowing opportunity or working as a tech, however I am not sure what the difference is and what kind of qualifications are required to be allowed to work in a pharmacy... Any help would be greatly appreciated..
 
I think grades are important, however having an experience in a pharmacy would definitely help. I think most people who applied to pharmacy schools would have atleast a bit of experience, even shadowing helps.
 
Not sure if unit18 is still here...

Good grades are important, but so are the other parts of your application. I know a few students with 4.0+ GPA who still got rejected (no volunteer). I think it's important to show that you are somewhat well-rounded. But it's so wonderful to see that you have confidence going into university.

It's a good idea to contact an advisor, and check out the UBC pharm website.

I recently got into UBC pharmacy with 3.9 GPA (all the pre-reqs) and 88% on the PCAT. I've been volunteering since grade 10 - nursing home (over 4 yrs), hospital (2 yrs), community center (over 2 yrs), and exec in school clubs (over 2 yrs). As you can see, no actual pharmacy exp. but I guess that didn't matter too much.

Depending on the pharmacy, you may not need any type of formal education to be a tech. A friend of mine volunteered at a pharmacy for about 2 yrs, and the owner offered her a job as a tech. I also know a first year UBC pharm student who's working as a tech right now.

GOOD LUCK!
//katherine
 
I got accepted after completing my first year at science this year and my advice is to start volunteering like mad. Many of my friends had high GPAs but were rejected b/c they didn't demonstrate that they cared about helping others. It's also hard to gauge how well you'll do in University b/c almost everyone entering UBC science f/ high school easily has a 4.0+ GPA. One year and 34 credits of science later the class average is 67%. I did a ton of volunteer work when i was younger. Been volunteering at UBC hospital and working at research labs since grade 10 and i'm working as a summer student this year at the Brain Research Center.

Stats if you want them...

4.0+ GPA first year science
99 pcat

Competition is tough but if you work you'll be fine