Requirements for Step 3??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EvilNewbie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am graduating this May and plan to take it right after I graduate. Question is, I know that different states have different rules in when you can take your test. However, one of the requirements for registering to take Step 3 is where you plan to get licensure. So, if I do my residency in one state, I would have to follow the Step 3 guidelines of that state even though I don't plan on being there after residency? Could I just register to take it in another state and still use the results? Like if I was to do residency in Alabama (just an example) but living in Florida, could I register to take it in Florida then go to Alabama for residency once I finished the exam? Or am I doomed to wait and take it in Alabama? The reason I am asking is that some states require a year or less of internship before being able to take the test. Maybe I should call them? anyone have an answer or number?

Members don't see this ad.

You can register to take it in any state, but you must fulfill that states requirements to be eligible. http://www.fsmb.org/. (Look under USMLE and then Step 3.)

You can take it where ever you want. You are not required to take it in the state you registered, or the state where your residency is located. You can sign up to take it at the location of your choice.

Okay, I apologize. FSMB used to have a page that gave the Step 3 eligibility requirements for each state, but I can't seem to find it on their website now.