Requirements to get into PhD program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mixolyd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a double B.A. in Philosophy and East Asian Studies.. original plan was to go into academia but now it seems rather unfortunately that the field of humanities is dead. A friend told me that the Army will pay for your schooling if you go into Clinical Psychology and hire you afterwards. Considering that psychotherapy was my 2nd career choice, I'm very interested in doing this, but unfortunately I didn't formally study any psychology.

I saw that PhD programs require a Bachelors and that would take me a year to get (30 hours). Is that all I would need?

Some here have said to get a Masters first, is that my best bet? Or would it be possible to get into a decent PhD program after a year of Psych study?

Not looking into the top top schools but really like UC Boulder, if that helps.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Admission for a Ph.d is clinical is super, super competitive, please be advised. Its not a back-up plan,and should not be a 2nd choice career. You should have significant interest in the science of psychology, as a ph.d in clinical has a heavy research component of course. Those who only desire to be therapist and nothing more would probably not be happy in such environments.

No masters is needed, but significant research experience is needed for ph.,d programs. It would be fruitless to apply without it. Most ph.d applicants will have years of it, so you will need to play catch-up here. And obviously nail your GRE too. Hows your GPA? It needs to be a 3.4 or above for the most part. Clinical experience/exposure would be helpful as well, but its not required for admission. Its would be good (and educational) for you personally though.

PS: Army and other military HPSP scholarships are available, but are competitive as well. Also, they dont hire you, they own you...for 3 years after the doctorate. You will be an active duty (non-combatant though) military officer/psychologist....stationed and deployment eligible.

Last edited:
Admission for a Ph.d is clincial is super competitive, please be advised. Its not a back-up plan,and should not be a 2nd choice career.

No masters is needed, but significant research experience is needed for ph.,d programs. It would be fruitless to apply without it. Most ph.d applicants will have years of it, so you will need to play catch-up here. And obviously nail your GRE too. Hows your GPA? It needs to be a 3.4 or above for the most part. Clinical experience/exposure would be helpful as well, but its not required for admission. Its would be good (and educational) for you personally though.

PS: Army and other military HPSP scholarships are available, but are competitive as well. Also, they dont hire you, they own you...for 3 years after the doctorate. You will be an active duty (non-combatant though) military officer/psychologist....stationed and deployment eligible.

My GPA is a 3.64 -- not bad, but not great. I just realized that Army will only pay for last 2 years of schooling, so this isn't an option anymore. Might consider the Navy since they school you at USUHS for free and don't require psychology as a major.

I appreciate the candid advice. I don't mind being "owned" by the military. They pay handsomely and in return I can provide assistance to the troops, who no doubt need it. Eventually I can have my own private practice, or maybe I'll really like it in the military and stay :)

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)

My GPA is a 3.64 -- not bad, but not great. I just realized that Army will only pay for last 2 years of schooling, so this isn't an option anymore. Might consider the Navy since they school you at USUHS for free and don't require psychology as a major.

I appreciate the candid advice. I don't mind being "owned" by the military. They pay handsomely and in return I can provide assistance to the troops, who no doubt need it. Eventually I can have my own private practice, or maybe I'll really like it in the military and stay :)

Thanks again

There is one downside to my job, and as much as I hate doing it, many times it will be my job to end a career. As important as it is to support troops who need assistance, the other side is equally important.

Mark

Not looking into the top top schools but really like UC Boulder, if that helps.

Hey Mixolyd. Welcome to the forum!!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but CU Boulder IS actually on of the top top schools for clinical psychology and definitely NOT one you want to go to if you are interested in solely clinical work for your career, it is a research intensive program.

Here are the program stats:
http://psych.colorado.edu/~clinical/disclosure-descending.html

For instance, last year they only accepted 6 of nearly 200 applicants and their incoming class was 4. And I can tell you, having been at their interview weekend last year, those are some super hardcore students. I could tell you more about the program. If you're interested, PM me.