Rescheduling MCAT test date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RodofAsclepius

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the moment, I'm registered to take the MCAT on January 25th. I'm currently in a TPR prep course. The only thing is that I've had a pretty busy semester and though I've done a pretty good job of keeping up with the prep course material, I just feel like I haven't had much time to devote solely to MCAT related studying. I've taken one practice test and got a 29 and have been trying to really crack down on the studying since I'm on winter break now.

Obviously part of it is subjective in that only I can decide if I feel ready, but I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice about rescheduling for the March exam date. I'll have to balance everything with classes again, but would the extra month and a half really make a difference? Would it be better to see how it goes in January and then retake it if necessary or just take it when I feel fully prepared? Do admissions folks see when a test date is rescheduled?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

OP, I was in a similar situation when I was preparing for the MCAT. I had a good average going into January but didn't feel that I had given it enough focus so I cracked and reschedule for the April date (March was full, but I took the early April test). Made a world of difference. I scored in the high, high 30's, and think I pry would have maxed out at 32-33 without the extra time to digest the course (I did TPR prep also).

My advice would be to reschedule if you don't feel ready, but only if you have those extra months to really STUDY. I mean 5-6 hours of good studying a day. That is what will make the difference. Admissions folks don't see if you have rescheduled, but obviously if you take the test twice they see both scores. There is mixed feedback out there on how they treat multiple scores (really depends on the school), but I think it is common sense that it is better to have one strong score than a weaker then stronger score from the POV of a lot of adcoms. Not all, but several. Just my thoughts... Good luck!

My test date change did not appear on my application, you are fine. :) you do, however, have to pay a fine.....something like $50?

Members don't see this ad :)
At the moment, I'm registered to take the MCAT on January 25th. I'm currently in a TPR prep course. The only thing is that I've had a pretty busy semester and though I've done a pretty good job of keeping up with the prep course material, I just feel like I haven't had much time to devote solely to MCAT related studying. I've taken one practice test and got a 29 and have been trying to really crack down on the studying since I'm on winter break now.

Obviously part of it is subjective in that only I can decide if I feel ready, but I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice about rescheduling for the March exam date. I'll have to balance everything with classes again, but would the extra month and a half really make a difference? Would it be better to see how it goes in January and then retake it if necessary or just take it when I feel fully prepared? Do admissions folks see when a test date is rescheduled?

Thanks!

Was the 29 on a TPR test? If so, you have nothing to worry about. Aamc tests are quite easier

I believe it's $65 to reschedule a month or more in advance and even more once it gets closer.

Staffsy77, do you think the extra time allowed you to really use all of the practice material that comes with TPR course?

orangeman25, it was an AAMC test so I'm not too sure that I really got a good gauge of what I can score on the actual exam

Yeah, the extra time helped. I'm not sure how you approached the course, but I made flashcards for all the different segments as the course went along, and as I did passages/diagnostics/practice tests, etc, I would add or clarify cards for concepts I was missing questions on. When I rescheduled my test, I used that time to do a full length (mix of TPR/AAMC/Kaplan/EK tests) every two or sometimes every other day in the morning, flash cards in the evening mixed with extra verbal passages, and just flash cards on my off days on my weak subjects. It's brutal when you really go into overdrive that last month, but it can be worth it depending on how much time you have to put into studying.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I did every TPR passage in the course (online and written) and many of the online ones twice, took every practice test at least once, sometimes twice. All diagnostics twice, the AAMC self assessment twice, and did every amplifier module twice.. Maximizing your MCAT score is about brute force and narrowing in on your weak spots. Gotta put in the time for the high scores. It isn't the content that is bad, per se, it is just a lot of content and you have to recall things very quickly.

Yeah, the extra time helped. I'm not sure how you approached the course, but I made flashcards for all the different segments as the course went along, and as I did passages/diagnostics/practice tests, etc, I would add or clarify cards for concepts I was missing questions on. When I rescheduled my test, I used that time to do a full length (mix of TPR/AAMC/Kaplan/EK tests) every two or sometimes every other day in the morning, flash cards in the evening mixed with extra verbal passages, and just flash cards on my off days on my weak subjects. It's brutal when you really go into overdrive that last month, but it can be worth it depending on how much time you have to put into studying.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I did every TPR passage in the course (online and written) and many of the online ones twice, took every practice test at least once, sometimes twice. All diagnostics twice, the AAMC self assessment twice, and did every amplifier module twice.. Maximizing your MCAT score is about brute force and narrowing in on your weak spots. Gotta put in the time for the high scores. It isn't the content that is bad, per se, it is just a lot of content and you have to recall things very quickly.

Okay thanks!! And whew, I can definitely see how you scored in the high 30's haha! I think the extra couple of months would really help me. Next semester is my final semester so I'm not taking any courses that are too demanding so I'm planning to devote a hefty chunk of time everyday to MCAT prep. I'm just concerned that if I take it in March and still don't do well, I might not have enough time to retake it before applying--I'd like to apply very soon after the application opens in the summer.

Okay thanks!! And whew, I can definitely see how you scored in the high 30's haha! I think the extra couple of months would really help me. Next semester is my final semester so I'm not taking any courses that are too demanding so I'm planning to devote a hefty chunk of time everyday to MCAT prep. I'm just concerned that if I take it in March and still don't do well, I might not have enough time to retake it before applying--I'd like to apply very soon after the application opens in the summer.

That is always the risk, but your goal should always be to take it once, not twice. If you have the time to prep well for a single exam date, then do that.

Knock it out of the park, killer! We're rooting for you! Best of luck.