Cognition

Certified Brain Stabber
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2003
Cal
Visit site
Status
Is doing research in another country looked down upon? a waste of time? etc.?

I have an opportunity to work at Trinity College in Ireland doing fMRI research. I really want to do this because it would be a great life experience and it would be doing research on what I want, but I'm affraid that MSTPs will not consider this research as valuable or legitimate as research in the U.S. Would I just be better off staying in the U.S. and working in some other (and more accepted) lab?

Newquagmire

15+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2002
Originally posted by Cognition
Is doing research in another country looked down upon? a waste of time? etc.?

I have an opportunity to work at Trinity College in Ireland doing fMRI research. I really want to do this because it would be a great life experience and it would be doing research on what I want, but I'm affraid that MSTPs will not consider this research as valuable or legitimate as research in the U.S. Would I just be better off staying in the U.S. and working in some other (and more accepted) lab?
No. Trinity is one of the best genetics centers outside the US. Dunno about Ireland though, the winters there suck.

PhysicsDoc

15+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2003
google.com
MSTP's care far more about WHAT you do and how well you understand what's been discovered than WHERE you do it. As long as you don't spend too much time enjoying the... amenities... of Irish culture, doing research abroad certainly won't be looked down upon versus research in the states.

About the Ads

astrisize

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Status
I spent the last year studying abroad in Switzerland. While I was there I spent an enormous amount of time in a lab doing developmental biology research. If anything, this work was looked favorably upon but most often, they just wanted to know what I had done, learned, understood, and discovered. I say, by all means, go!

About the Ads