Research Advice IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Scotsman_2810

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello to my transatlantic brethren, would be grateful for your advice. I am a senior medical student following the clinician scientist pathway at a top 5 UK medical school and was interested in research in the US. I will graduate in 2 years and am hoping to train in neurosurgery in the UK. I will have completed Step CS by the time i graduate and finish my 2 foundatuon years (equivalent of internship) in the uk which we are required to finish before we apply for specialist training (residency). In the academic training pathway a surgeon begins his residency of 5-8 years depending on the speciality and at year 3 takes a formal leave to complete a PhD, usually at the same institute or another and then re renter's training. My question was would i be able to come to the states between residency and internship if i do not get in to neurosurgical training first time round and carry out research (i would be ecfmg certified) or even during my residency/PhD training to come and work in the US in whatever capacity is applicable. I would be grateful for any advice you guys may have about the process and what would be involved, if something like this even is possible. I am sitting the USMLE to hopefully do a endovascular fellowship after residency as UK neurosurgeons on the whole arent allowed to carry out endovascular coiling but that will probably end by the time i qualify and is a hot topic of debate atm.