Research And Competitive Specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obiwan

Attending Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it really necessary to do research and get published if you want to do the ENT/opthamology/dermatology/urology esqe specialties

Members don't see this ad.

It certainly helps, especially if you want to go to an academic institution.

You should do some research, but you should also be at least a little bit interested in the research as well. Publications aren't absolutely necessary, but you should try to get as much out of the experience as you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
is it really necessary to do research and get published if you want to do the ENT/opthamology/dermatology/urology esqe specialties

Nothing is per se required, but these are competitive fields, and so when comparing two comparable applicants where one has research and publications and the other doesn't, who do you think will get the nod?
Many of the people I've met who are gunning for the uber competitive fields are taking time off to do specialty specific research.

Just ace the boards! Seems to be the cool thing to do in med school.

Have you read the NRMP publication about Match Outcomes? That should answer your question, or at least tell you how many successful applicants do research and get pubs. If you don't have it, let me know and I'll send you a web address for it.

Have you read the NRMP publication about Match Outcomes? That should answer your question, or at least tell you how many successful applicants do research and get pubs. If you don't have it, let me know and I'll send you a web address for it.

I think I have but some of the results seem odd because I remember there were non competitive specialties like internal where there was a ridiculously high percentage of people who had publications which threw me off

I think I have but some of the results seem odd because I remember there were non competitive specialties like internal where there was a ridiculously high percentage of people who had publications which threw me off

Keep in mind IM is the feeder for specialties like Cardiology, Endocrinology, gastroenterology, etc. which are desirable/more competitive than IM.

http://www.nrmp.org/matchoutcomes.pdf

Yeah, now that I look at that, it kind of throws me for a loop too. >50% with pubs is a little suprising.

As a way of possible explanation, I have seen discussion on SDN previously as to whether or not the "General Surgery" and "Internal Medicine" categories include the prelim spots.

Also keep in mind that the data is only for students who filled out a rank order list, meaning that all data points had at least one interview. Applicants who did not get any interviews were not included in this compilation.

That NRMP survey counts basically anything as research. The percentage of people with legitimate publications is much much lower.

I am never the one to start a thread, I am all for hijacking one... I am sure this has been answered multiple times already, but, meh

Is it recommended to get involved in research before MS1 because I'd guess that it gets pretty hectic afterwards, so it may be a good idea to get a head start? Also, no sane person probably knows before MS1 what specialty they want to pursue later on. So, is it a waste of time to start doing some research in dermatology and then you find yourself interested in neurosurgery? (note how I am talking about the most competitive specialties :cool: )

So, is it a waste of time to start doing some research in dermatology and then you find yourself interested in neurosurgery? (note how I am talking about the most competitive specialties :cool: )

If you find you need to do a specialty specific form of research, you can always take a year off after second year.

Is it recommended to get involved in research before MS1 because I'd guess that it gets pretty hectic afterwards, so it may be a good idea to get a head start? Also, no sane person probably knows before MS1 what specialty they want to pursue later on. So, is it a waste of time to start doing some research in dermatology and then you find yourself interested in neurosurgery? (note how I am talking about the most competitive specialties :cool: )

I would recommend getting started as soon as possible. Research in any specialty is good and is definitely better than nothing at all.

1) It doesn't get that hectic, you just have to be willing to make sacrifices to do what you want. You have time to find a project after you start, but if you have an in before MSI, by all means get involved.

2) Don't assume that you have to do specialty-specific research to get into a competitive field, because you don't. It may help, especially with LORs, but is hardly necessary. So no, there is no research that is a "waste" as far as contributing to residency app.

I'm honestly surprised to see such high percentage of med students participate in research. From Figure 10 of NMRP report, it seems that 70%-100% students matched in 2005 was involved in research of some sort. Do you guys think their survey distinguish between post-graduate research from undergraduate research? i mean, the results are more understandable if over 70% students did research at one time during their academic career.

I'm honestly surprised to see such high percentage of med students participate in research. From Figure 10 of NMRP report, it seems that 70%-100% students matched in 2005 was involved in research of some sort. Do you guys think their survey distinguish between post-graduate research from undergraduate research? i mean, the results are more understandable if over 70% students did research at one time during their academic career.
It must include undergrad research, because they are definitely very high numbers. Half the people at my school tend to do research between M1-M2 in the summer, but almost everyone I know have already done research in undergrad or for a master's.

It must include undergrad research, because they are definitely very high numbers. Half the people at my school tend to do research between M1-M2 in the summer, but almost everyone I know have already done research in undergrad or for a master's.

Does undergrad research have any impact on residency application? I have undergrad research in the specialty I'm leaning towards (as far as a M1 can lean anyway), or do we start from a clean research slate and they only care what you did as a medstudent?
Alot of people are planning on doing research in the summer but that means you get to do nothing else with that time . . . and I'd hoped to spend a little time with family and friends across the country. I've thought about taking an extra year instead. How feasible is doing clinical research in M3&4? Could you do that as an elective rotation?

Does undergrad research have any impact on residency application? I have undergrad research in the specialty I'm leaning towards (as far as a M1 can lean anyway), or do we start from a clean research slate and they only care what you did as a medstudent?

Like the AMCAS, your ERAS application will have space for "research" and "publications". I listed all my undergrad stuff too. At my interviews, no one really gave a rat's ass about "research experiences" as an undergraduate, but they did comment on my pubs from undergrad. I spinned this off as, "A demonstrated committment to research stretching back to the early days of my undergraduate career, and continued up through medical school." That seemed to play well.

In the end though, I can only guess how much that impacted my match.

*nods* It seems, at least where I'm from, that research is almost an unwritten rule for applying to medical school, let alone for the steps beyond. I'm going to have to think hard about doing research between MS1 and MS2 years - it depends on what specialty I end up wanting to get into.

There is more and more pressure these days to figure things out earlier. If one rotates in cardiology late in their medical career (~MS4) and falls in love with it, it is far too late to go and do a bunch of meaningful research in it. Of course, as it has been stated, any research in any field is meaningful and important.

And Prowler? Awesome avatar >.< \_/

Another good thing about doing research is it helps you to find out if you truly like the specialty. I wasn't looking to do psych but a consultant was doing research and offered positions to some of the 3rd years, so I gave it a shot. Now I've fallen in love and I'm seriously considering doing psych. Meanwhile, one of my friends, who thought she loved pysch, is working on the same project and found she's not so hot for it anymore. Who knew?

Even so, don't force it. Do research because you're interested not because you feel you have to.